Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I was still sore from pilates when I woke up this morning, and since I had walked 3 days in a row, I let this be my ‘off’ day. I laid in the bed and read until about 8am. Sweet! Then I got ready for the day and had my Bible study/quiet time.

Sherry and Manuel got here about 9:30 and got busy on Manuel’s homework for today. I was working on reorganizing some stuff in my room and doing laundry. I must say it is very nice having water pressure in the washing machine again! Woohoo! No more 4-6 hour washing cycles!

Pastor Marvin and his father, Raymon, picked me up about 11am to go to Monte Horeb (aka Sewer Ponds) to help serve kids their 5 x a week lunch. One of the sweet ladies from Rose of Sharon church was there and heads up the newly established feeding center (tin roof, concrete block fire pit, black plastic tacked onto tree limbs). I enjoyed seeing her. It was a very nice time. Since there is no shade for the kids to sit and eat, they come and get their food and take it home. They bring their own containers and it sure is a mis-matched set of items. Some bring plastic bags for us to poor their food into. I would love to get them all nice bowls with lids and some cups with lids. Sherry and I are talking about having the summer teams bring down some. We’ll see…

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. This is my 3rd year to be here in March and we have spent a lot of time at Monte Horeb. It is awesome to see how much the kids have grown!

Wendy, a sweet girl with Down’s Syndrome, came running up to me and gave me a big hug. She is so precious! I took our picture together. She loves being a helper. Another girl went home and brought me a mango as a gift. One little boy saw me and said “la gringa está aquí!!” They can’t always remember my name, but some call me “la gringa con pelito corto” (the Anglo with short hairs). I didn’t get to see Rosita today. I hope to see her soon. I did see Bismark and Franklin and some others. My how they are growing! I took some fun pictures of Alberto Franciso, a 6 month old who’s brother was feeding him some kind of candy that was goopy. Being 6 months old, Alberto keep nodding forward at in-opportune times and ended up with candy on his forhead, cheeks and every where else. He was funny! I posted some pics from today on my facebook account.

After the Feeding (about 100 kids today), Pastor Marvin and I walk part way to his parents’ house when his dad picked us up on the road. We stopped to see Maria Luisa. She had fallen down last week and really bruised up her hip and side. She showed me that her bruises are better and she looked so much better than on Sunday, when she was in so much pain. We had a fun visit. She keeps saying that she is going to come and sleep in my room. She is intrigued by our pool, but can’t swim. I told her that Sherry would teacher her, but she’s afraid that she will drown. We decided she needs some arm ‘floaties’ like we put on her grandson last Sunday. We all got a good laugh about that. I got to meet Raymon’s sister, Luisa. It was fun stopping at their house. I gave Maria Luisa some mangoes from our trees. We said we would see each other on Friday for the Women’s Bible study.

We got back to the Mission House and Sherry had saved me some grilled chicken (everyone else had fried and they are sweet to fix my grilled), home made potato salad and baked beans. Yummy!!!

I finished more work in my room and then left for a visit with Juan Pacheco, my friend who has the English Academy and was my Spanish tutor. I had a great time talking with Juan and also sitting in on an English class with a really sharp student, named Octavio. Estefany is a girl from the Saturday morning class that I helped with before. She came by also to practice her English with me. We had a blast talking. We exchanged phone numbers and I look forward to getting together.

Juan showed me where I could get minutes for my phone. I usually get them when running the streets during the day, but needed them tonight. He also showed me how to get some bonus minutes for the states. It costs about 50cents per minute for the states on my Nica phone. It costs about $2 a minute on my iPhone. Email and Facebook are definitely the better choices!!!

I grabbed a taxi and got home about 6:30. Alberto let me in and locked up the joint. I came to my room for some special supper that Sherry had left me. Stuffed green peppers! Yum! I grabbed a quick shower and got on the computer for some communication stuff and now I’m ready to watch a video and read and go to bed.

It’s been so much fun today. Hot and dirty and so full of blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment