Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesday March 20, 2012

Up early to head to Las Quimeras for the Feeding Center. Cathy went with me today to see some of the women at Las Quimeras. Pastor Marvin’s dad picked us up and we headed off. I asked if we had everything the ladies needed today, since we didn’t stop to see Pastor Marvin to get the note like we did yesterday. His dad said everything was fine.

We stopped for gas and then stopped at Maxi Palí to get some plastic buckets for drink mixes. The store wasn’t open, so we just drove on toward Las Quimeras. We were almost there when I heard my phone ring. (that’s a miracle in itself, since I’m slightly hearing impaired and the windows were down and the truck is loud.) Anyway, God made it possible for me to get the phone call. It was from German. He said that Pastor Marvin had called him to get in touch with us, because we hadn’t come by to get the note (with menu and recipe) and some of the food items from him. His dad was not happy about having to turn around and drive all the way back across town. I think it might be good that I don’t understand everything in Spanish… Just kidding. We finally got to Marvin’s house and picked up the food and note and then drove back across town and out to Las Quimeras. We were driving for 1.5 hours total. Crazy.

The ladies were waiting for us at the Feeding Center. They were glad to see us. Thankfully, the food was quick cooking for today and Silvia had cooked the beans at home last night. She and Leticia set to work building the fire and getting the food started. They told Cathy and I to sit down and they would take care of everything. It was hot, even in the shade, but we enjoyed talking with them in our limited Spanish. It was fun getting to know them better.

Today we had beans, rice and spaghetti, with watered oatmeal to drink. 67 kids came today, so they are building back up after the week off. Some ladies came by to say hello and ask when the Bible study classes and sewing classes would start up again. It was good to get hugs and talk with them.

Marvin’s dad had left us there and went to do something on his truck. He didn’t come back forever. When we were ready to clean up, I called German and asked him to find out when our ride was coming back (in case the truck was torn apart and not able to come and get us). Marvin’s dad drove up as we were finished cleaning up. We were glad to see him. We were ready to get back to the Mission House for a bathroom! Ha

Cathy enjoyed seeing the kids and ladies today. The kids are so poor and dirty, but very happy. They don’t know any different life. It’s so nice to be able to bless them with a hot meal once a day.

We got back to the Mission House and had lunch that our cooks had saved back for us. It was yummy! Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes, corn and slaw. We finished eating and rested for a tiny bit.

I got a much needed shower and then the whole team headed off to downtown to shop at the square and have ice cream. I don’t always go with the team for this, but I needed to get some items for the Feeding Center, so Cathy and I went to the House of Plastics and Piñatas to purchase our items. We got them back to the van and then went for ice cream. We then met up with Mary and a few of the team and went to Plaza del Carmen, one of my favorite shops, but it was already closed for the day. We walked on down to La Unión grocery store really quickly. I picked up some bags of salt for the Feeding Center and a cold water for me to drink! We got back to the van 4 minutes late and everyone was teasing us.

We got back to the Mission House and had dinner (quesadillas, beans , rice and salad) and then had the rest of the evening off. It was son nice!

Cathy helped me cut some fabric for the sewing class on Thursday. Brian Sander helped me download skype onto my computer and set it up so I can use it on my iPhone to make $.19 calls to the US instead of $.50 calls on my Nica phone or $1.99 calls on the iPhone. Yay!

I’m so tired. I caught Buster and took him to Alberto’s little house for bed. Then I came in my room, put on my jammies and as soon as this posts, I’m hitting the bed!

I think everyone else is good and tired, too. It’s not 10 yet and they are already in their rooms. I think we will all sleep well tonight!

I’m so thankful for all the blessings that God is allowing us to see this week. The teams are having a great time and experiencing a closer walk with God. I’m thankful to be a part of the ministry here.

I’m also thankful for my comfy bed, so I’m going to enjoy it now. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment