Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sunday, March 25, 2012

We had a quiet day, still recouping from the week with the team and the weekend of getting the place put back together.

Sherry started cooking as soon as she got here. We had the VOH fulltime workers and their families over for a dinner and Easter egg hunt. The place is booked up on the weekends until Easter, so we had it early.

Great food and fun. We stuffed over 300 Easter eggs with prizes, candy and such and then hid them for everyone (including adults) to find. It was really a fun afternoon.

I put some videos and pictures on my facebook page of all the festivities. Egg hunting, raw egg toss, egg in a spoon relay race… All this was new to the people here, of course, since it’s a US kind of thing. You could tell by their faces sometimes that they were wondering what was going on and why. But it was fun.

Easter here, which they mostly call Holy Week, is a very religious holiday. Lots of parades and celebrations and ceremony. They draw pictures on some of the streets and some are very elaborate. Everyone takes off work and school for Holy Week. People start going to the beach, even though most don’t swim. It’s just something different to do.

I’ve been here for Holy Week before, but not for the actual Easter Sunday. This will be interesting.

I can’t imagine being anywhere else. I love getting to experience the holidays and traditions of my new homeland.

God has blessed me so much with allowing me to live in different places and cultures. I know I haven’t been around the world much at all, but living in the Mid-west and South in the US and then in NYC (which is in the US, but seems like a different world) and now living in Nicaragua has been such blessings to me. I’m thankful for every minute, even the tough ones! God is ever faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment