Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Up early to get ready for our road trip to Granada. It’s a beautiful, sunny day. We are taking one of the nice vans that belong to German’s transportation business. Jorge and Lesly are going along to be our driver and translator. Manuel is my date.

Manuel saw my new teddy bear (birthday gift from Pastor Marvin and Ingrid) and wanted it. I told him that he could play with it, but it was mine because it was a gift. I let him name it, though, and he decided on Julie. He took Julie with us on the trip. He said he was going to buy her a dress.

We drove into Managua and stopped at On the Run for a bathroom break. Always glad to see an OTR!

We made it into Granada about 11am. The restaurant was not open yet, so we walked around the square and downtown. It’s very touristy there. I bought a couple of pairs of handmade sandals on the square for $5 each. Sherry bought some stuff in one of the shops.

We decided to take a horse-drawn coach ride. Manuel sat up front with the driver. Sherry and Mike shared a seat and Lesly and I shared the other one. Jorge decided to stay with the van. We had a nice 20 minute ride to the lake and back. The driver stopped every once in a while and showed us a landmark and gave us some history. He was very nice. I took some pics and they actually turned out pretty good, even though we were moving most of the time. The horses’ names were Donkey and Perro (dog). Perro got his name because he bites the other horse.

We had a yummy lunch at Zarguán, one of our favorite restaurants in Granada. The steaks are the best we have had in Nica. Very tender. The menus are wooden pieces with a door on the front that opens to the actual menu. I took a picture of mine and made Jorge shake his head at my tourist behavior. ☺

We then went to Masaya to the big market. Mike doesn’t like to shop and he definitely didn’t enjoy the experience, but he was a trooper. Manuel had done very well on his test on Thursday and Friday, so he got to get shoes as part of his school uniform. I picked up another pair of sandals and some little ceramic turtles that are whistles. These are for my great-nephews in IN. I’m sure that my sister will thank me. Haha

We headed back to León and I think everyone except Jorge took a nap on the way back. Jorge kept teasing me about my driving (since I hit the tree yesterday). He’s quiet most of the time around us, but I like it that he is opening up more. I hope that he considers me a friend. I truly love Lesly and her family.

I ate some leftovers for dinner (cold of course, my favorite) and just relaxed for a while. I got on facebook and email for a couple of hours.

I gave Deanna my Saturday check-in call so that she could update everyone at church. She is doing well. I miss her and Jet. I hope the phone calls help her feel that I’m still connected.

Pastor Marvin and the praise team got back from dinner and were going to practice and worship a little bit. I told them they could stay under the rancho and that they wouldn’t bother me at all. It was nice to hear them playing and singing. A nice blessing for me.

I watched a video before going to bed to read. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment