Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 NICARAGUA

Another great day! Went to Spanish class at 9am instead of 10am so that we could make up some time for me being gone to Masaya on Thursday. It was a good class. Talked about verbs (as usual) but also reviewed different types of pronouns and objects. I wish I would have paid more attention in English grammar classes, so that I wouldn’t have to try so hard to remember it now so that I can associate it to Spanish. Ah, we always think we know best when we’re young. Kind of like how we think we will never use math skills when we grow up either. Ha

Anyway, it was a great class. We had a long discussion (all in Spanish) about how I feel living and serving here in Nica (almost full time). I am exactly where God wants me to be. Juan was asking if I miss many things from the states. I truly don’t miss anything personally. I just sometimes think of things that would make the ministry more effective if we had those items here. The only things that I have been craving are hummus and HGTV. LOL other than that, I’m good with cold showers, no TV, walking to many of the places I need to go, riding in dilapidated taxis, wearing bug spray as cologne and sunscreen as moisturizer. I love my room and am very comfortable here. I haven’t felt this ‘at home’ in a long, long time.

My health has been very good, considering the chronic problems I have. And the sinus infection/cold is about all gone. I’ve been keeping up with my vitamins and supplements and feel pretty good most of the time. I could probably slow down a little bit and get more rest, but I’ll work on that over time. I’m very content with the life that God is allowing me to have.

Juan and his daughter Kati and I took a fieldtrip today at class. We walked a few blocks away to another House of the Bible store to price Bibles for the ladies at ROSCC church Bible study. I wasn’t impressed with the selection or the prices, and think I will probably keep buying the ones that I get from Carlos, but I did find a kid’s devotional book in Spanish and bought it for myself. I will have fun reading each day’s Bible story all year round.

On the way to class I stopped at the Librería and bought some pens for the ladies Bible study, as well as a nice notebook for Pastor Sergio, a big eraser for myself, and some large pieces of paper for the sewing class. On the way home I stopped in at the second hand clothing store that Mary and I like. Partly to look for a green top to go with a green skirt I just bought, and partly to get in the shade for a few minutes. (It’s getting too hot to walk home from class at noon) The owner was so happy to see me. She should be, I spend money in there often. They have nice used clothing for a good price and their store is very clean and organized. Keep in mind that it’s the front part of their house and the size of my bedroom. Her name is Melonia and she asked me lots of questions about where I live and what I do, etc. I was surprised at how much better my Spanish is while speaking with her. Anyway, I told her all about Voice of Hope Ministry and what we do. It was great to talk with her.

I got home for lunch and we had churrazco (steak with chimichurri sauce), mashed potatoes, corn and salad. Yum! Then I chatted with Mary, Sherry and Leslie about some plans for the sewing classes and other ministry stuff.

Soon it was time for the ladies from Las Quimeras to get here for the sewing class. It takes them 45 minutes to ride the bus into town and across to the Mission House. We have a 2 hour class and then they have another 45 minute bus ride home. Bless their hearts! At least the ministry pays their bus fare for them. We had fun at the class. We ended up with 9 ladies (including Leslie, who is our translator, but also wants to learn how to sew). We went over the basics. Then we watched the dvd that came with the sewing machine and then they got to try their hand at sewing a little bit. They each took a turn. We gave them each a couple of needs and some thread and a piece of fabric to take home and practice on. They are excited and we are, too! We’re all praying for 2 more sewing machines so that they can all get busy learning and making things for their families as well as maybe making things to sell to provide groceries for their families.

It started to rain before class was over and we let them leave early to catch the bus back to Las Quimeras. I hope they made it home safely and didn’t get too wet. I’m very excited about their classes. I know this is going to be a great ministry.

Mary got ready to go and babysit for Manuel tonight at the Hulsey’s house. I heated up some left over Nica chop suey from last night. Then I got busy cutting out some fabric to make drawstring bags for the women’s conference on Monday. Last night I sewed up 32 tissue holders (for a lady’s purse or backpack) and tonight I cut out 30 drawstring bags. If I can get them sewed up tomorrow evening, I’ll just have about another 50 items to get done by Monday.

We have a family of 4 coming on Friday afternoon for the week, to do a conference. We also have the team coming in on Saturday afternoon. It’s gonna get busy around here! I love it. Also, I’ll still be doing the 2 Women’s Bible studies on Wed and Friday, as well as the Women’s Conference on Monday. We’ll still have the Tuesday sewing class. But I’ll be working with the team and won’t have Spanish class in the mornings, but Juan is translating for us and we wouldn’t have class anyway. I know that the week is going to fly by!

I’m going to get off of here for now. I’m tired and need my beauty sleep. Ha
I hope to find time tomorrow evening to get some laundry done. Otherwise, I’m going to have to go back to the used clothing store and buy something clean to wear!

I hope that everyone back in the states is getting ready for Thanksgiving and having a great time preparing to be with family. Nica is exactly where I want to be for the holidays. I’m thankful for that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment