Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thursday, November 24, 2011 NICARAGUA

Thanksgiving Day. I spent that holiday last year here, too. I love it. We went out to Las Quimeras and held a morning VBS time and then were there to pray over the feeding of kids. It was a beautiful day. Sunny, but not too hot, with a slight breeze. The kids had fun and the team enjoyed working with them and also going street witnessing. More than one of the team members mentioned how appreciative the kids (and even adults) were to get to color with crayons, make a paperbag puppet, play simple games and just have fun. I was happy to get to help cut up some of the vegetables for the lunch that was served to the kids. I am so happy to see the simple, but new and very functional outdoor kitchen at the church. It’s a lean-to built up against part of one of the walls. It has a tin roof and the supports are made of tree limbs. The cooking area is made up of cement blocks that make 3 spots for putting fires and setting large pots. There is a work table for chopping food. The ladies were quite happy to work in the new kitchen. They were from the Women’s Bible study group and it was fun to get to see them 3 times this week! We mostly stayed out of their way, but felt happy to be there.

We came back to the Mission House and had lunch. Sherry had planned a special lunch since it was Thanksgiving dinner. We had grilled chicken, macaroni and cheese (made with boxes of velveeta cheese that she had brought from the states), slaw and corn. It was very good. She had baked some cakes for us, too.

After lunch, everyone relaxed in their own ways. I laid down on my bed and had a little snooze. Mary woke me up about 15 minutes before we left for church service.

We went back out to Las Quimeras church for a special service. The lady Pastor from the Telica church, along with some others from that little church, were present. The team had purchased 40 chairs for the Telica church, so we took them with us and presented them to the Pastor. They were very glad to get them.

Pastor Marvin was there from Rose of Sharon CC church, along with his mom and dad and the little praise band. It was nice to see them. It was a good service with lovely music and the message and testimony were brought by the team. Very good jobs by everyone.

We got back to the Mission House about 7:30pm and had dinner, a traditional daily Nicaraguan meal: beans, rice, fried plantain, fried cheese and tortilla.

Mike talked a little bit to the group and thanked them for the great work they did this week. Tomorrow is fun day and the group is having a fun time tonight talking and laughing under the rancho and I can hear them from my room. I’m going to miss having them here.

I’ll be going with the group to go shopping tomorrow morning, along with Leslie. We’ll eat at either Tip Top Chicken or Hollywood Pizza, which are side by side. Then we’ll come back to hang out at the Mission House and then about 3:30pm go to the beach and to Suyapa for an early dinner. It will be a fun day.

Usually, we are exhausted at the end of a team ministry week, but being here at the Mission House and having a great team to work with has made this week very fun and enjoyable. I haven’t had to go out with the team for Fiestas since I’m still carrying on the Bible Studies and Sewing Class, so it has been a lot easier on me than in the past. It is such a blessing to have Leslie to be in charge of Fiestas and the VBS today.

The stars were beautiful tonight. Since there are few lights and no tall buildings, even in town, it was easy to see the start. Leslie and Jaasiel asked if I think we have the same stars in the US. I said no, these are prettier. Haha

I’m ready to head to bed for now. It’s been a good day. I did get the chance to call one of my sisters and my mom early this morning before we left for Las Quimeras. I was waiting until later in the day to call my other sister and my dad, but when I had the chance, we were out of cell range and then I fell asleep in the afternoon when at the Mission House and didn’t get them called. I’ll try tomorrow.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and is truly thankful for God being in their lives. I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment