Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday, November 4, 2011 NICARAGUA

In my room, showered and ready for bed by 7:20pm. Looking forward to a quiet night.

Last night I didn’t get much sleep and I had a big day today. God gave me the physical strength and the peaceful heart to enjoy this day.

I visited with Mary for a while this morning and then headed off to walk to Spanish class. I stopped on the way at Bazar Jerry to buy some safety pins. Then I stopped at the corner by the bank to exchange some money with the guy who sits on a stool at the corner for just that purpose.

Got to class at 9:59am and started reviewing my notes from this week. Juan was pleased with all my charts for the verbs and other parts of grammar that we have been studying. He wants me to email him the files for him to use. We had a good class of practicing the verbs. I need to spend a lot of time on that this weekend.

I walked home after class and enjoyed a yummy lunch of hamburger patty, beans, rice, cabbage salad and tortilla. It was very good. I relaxed under the rancho with Leslie, Mary and the Hulsey’s for a while. Then I got ready for the Women’s Bible study at Rose of Sharon CC church.

Sherry had made 4 cakes to take to the church for the ladies. One was for Pastor Marvin’s mother, who had asked for a cake just for her. We split the rest of the cake between the group of 30+ people including some kids and a couple of Pastors. It was appreciated by all. (they don’t usually have ovens here and they don’t ever bake cakes. They buy them from the bakery.)

Pastor Marvin was afraid that I was ending the Bible study since we were serving cake. I assured him the weekly Bible study would continue every week. The cake was just a special treat and that there would be more to come. He reminded the ladies about the special event on Monday, Nov 21, when the team is here. We are going to have a special time with the ladies at 8am and then about 10am we will help cook the food for that day’s feeding of the children. It will be great fun.

I have told all the ladies of the ROSCC women’s group that whoever brings a guest will receive a special treat and that guest will, too. They asked if they would get 2 treats if they bring 2 guests. I said of course. This is a perfect time for them to invited non-churched ladies in the area to come for some fun and to get to know the church ladies a little bit. It will make it easier for them to come and join our Bible study in the future. I’m going to make little drawstring bags (with my leftover fabric from other projects) and fill them with candy for the prizes. This way I can make a lot of prizes for little money and it will be a treat for them!

Today’s Bible study was on the consequences of sin in the Garden of Eden. When discussing the part about the curse of pain and sorrow in childbearing, I told them that when they get to heaven, to look up Eve and ask her “What were you thinking????” They all thought that was funny. We have a nice time together in the Bible studies.

After I got home this evening, I hung out at Mary’s window and chatted for a while. We were entertained by an amorous pair of frogs. Very interesting…. After chatting a while, I got a shower and fixed some soup for dinner. I’m going to use the internet cable that Mike generously left for me to use, maybe sew a little bit, study a little Spanish and then go to bed early.

Juan asked me to come by his Saturday morning English class to meet the students so that they will be acquainted with me when I come and help with the class in the future. The class is from 8-10am, so I’ll walk there first thing in the morning and then walk back before it gets too hot.

After the English class, I’ll get ready to go with Sherry and Mary to lunch to celebrate Sherry’s birthday. This will be fun. We’re going to Al Carbón, which Sherry and I like, and Mary will be going to for the first time. It will be fun to together.

We also need to get some supplies to Pastor Sergio at Las Quimeras church for them to start a Sunday School class for the kids. We’ll need to deliver that tomorrow.

Jeremy, one of my Nica sons, called this morning asking what my plans are. He is wanting for me to get together with him and his wife Kelly. Today was very busy, so we decided that maybe tomorrow we could get together. I think I’ll see if they want to come over for a visit here at the Mission House. I don’t if Kelly will need to be working in her little store or not. Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing them.

Other than laundry, I will be having a quiet few days here at the Mission House. Because of elections, we will not be going out for church on Sunday (that’s election day and most churches are closed), and Monday will be like a holiday while they are counting the votes. Most schools and businesses are closed and there are celebrations and demonstrations in the streets, so travel is difficult. There’s no violence expected, but disruption in travel and such. It will be nice to have a few days of staying home for a change.

I guess I’ll get off of here for now.
I’m very blessed and very thankful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment