Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thursday, November 17, 2011 NICARAGUA

It’s only 8:30pm and I’m ready for bed. Ha! That’s what a day of 6 hours traveling in the van and another 5 hours of shopping and eating will do to a body! I’m comfortably tired, though, so I’m not complaining.

We left this morning with Danilo as our driver. Mary, Sherry, Leslie and I went to Masaya (3 hours away) for shopping at a market to buy things that the team might like to purchase when they come. We will no longer be driving that far on ‘Fun Days’ for the teams and want to make sure that they have good, affordable options for souvenir shopping. Between our little store here at the Mission House and the vendors at the Central Park here in León, they should be happy.

We had a late lunch at Narcy’s and enjoyed it very much. Narcy’s is a chicken restaurant adjacent to a Pappa John’s Pizza place. You can order from both menus. I had a calzone with mushrooms, black olives and chicken. Yum. Sherry and Mary shared a Hawaiian pizza. Leslie had some chicken tacos and Danilo ordered a special of hot wings. Danilo is a stout guy and when his plate came out we all laughed, because it looked like a child’s portion. We shared our stuff with him. We had also ordered cheese sticks, but they came out as part of our meal instead of as an appetizer. We also ordered 2 Nacatamales to try them out. Leslie (nica) does not like them, but Danilo does. Sherry and I loved them and Mary liked them okay. They are a lot like Mexican tamales, but have specific stuff in them. I love any kind of tamales, so I was very happy!

We were driving German’s new (used) van and got stopped by the police twice because we had no license plates and the temporary papers were expired. Both times, the police were going to take us to the Police station and keep the van, but a little bribe money got us on our way. Sherry was ready to have a stern talk with German and Mike for sending us off in a vehicle with expired papers. Thankfully, we didn’t get stopped any more the rest of the day. It could have gotten expensive!

After lunch, we went to PriceSmart in Managua. We stocked up on some things and I was tickled to find snack packs of craisins and some trailmix. I also got some granola bars, soup and some snack pack pudding. I priced a Singer sewing machine there and am thinking about getting it for myself for Christmas, if God provides the money. The little sewing machine that I brought down is great and we use it for sewing classes. But we need to buy more machines and the one at PriceSmart is a Singer and not a strange brand like the ones in León, which the ministry will still buy for the classes. Anyway, I’m praying about this nice Singer model.

We had a nice drive home and I dozed off a little bit. It was nice riding in German’s van (even if it is a police magnet). We got back to the Mission House and unloaded all our stuff. Danilo has only been to this place once before, so we asked him to drive on in. Before he picked up and dropped off at the little gate and parked by the street. While we were unloading the van, Buster (the miniature Doberman puppy the size of my foot) came running up. In the darkness it was hard to tell what he was. I think Danilo might have thought that he was a rat or something, by the look on his face! He asked me if it was a little dog (with an incredulous lilt to his voice). When I said yes, he just laughed and said that Buster would protect us.

Mike and Manuel had ran to Tip Top Chicken while we were gone and came back to the Mission House shortly after we got back. I gave Manuel a little keychain for his surprise from me. I’m sure he’s wanting some keys to go on it.

I settled into my room and had some chicken noodle soup for dinner. Then I did a little bit of sewing.

Mike left me the internet cable, so I’ve been updating my blog, downloading Iva May commentary for my daily Bible study and returning emails. We are supposed to have internet here at the Mission House by the end of the week. So far we’ve had 2 people show up but the internet has not materialized yet. Oh well, I’m thankful to get to use the cable sometimes!

I’m going to get up early tomorrow and through some clothes into the washer. I haven’t been able to wash for almost 2 weeks. My schedule keeps me gone a lot and this past week, the washer was busy with the 45 sets of sheets and towels from the group over the weekend. I’m looking forward to some clean duds!

While the clothes are washing, I’m going to head downtown to pick up some more fabric that I need to sew up this weekend and also to pick up some things from a bookstore. Then I’ll head back here to help get the place ready for the team. One family who is coming to do a conference next week is arriving tomorrow. Then the team from Paragould AR comes in on Saturday afternoon.

I can’t wait to have a team here! It’s gonna be great! Can’t wait to see how many people come to Christ next week.

Better go for now and finish downloading stuff while I can.
Things are really busy here and I love everything that God allows me to do. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment