Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Saturday, November 19, 2011 NICARAGUA

It’s only 9pm and I am soooo tired. I have been sewing and working on things for the Women’s Conference on Monday all day today. I also got all my sheets and towels washed up for the week.

The team from Eastside Baptist Church in Paragould AR got here about 3:30pm. It was good to see Charlie Brown and to meet his new wife Lisa. They brought lots of good ministry supplies and really blessed us bunches!!! They even brought printer ink! Charlie is a great team leader. I think we are all going to have a great week.

This is the first time that Claudia has cooked for a North American team. It’s customary here for your one main meal to be lunch. Breakfast is pinto gallo (beans and rice) and then you have a big lunch. Then for dinner, you just have left-overs or some kind of snack. When Sherry saw that just one pot of meat was fixed for this group of mostly guys, she hurried up and had Claudia fix chicken and veggies as well. Claudia and Lydia only had 45 minutes to get it ready, but they did great! We always have a time of a learning curve with new cooks, since they are not used to people eating as much as North Americans do. You could tell that both cooks were exhausted today. Bless their hearts. I hope they both will hang in there.

Anna and Grace Wood (from the family that is also here this week for a conference) helped me with some of the gifts for the Women’s Conference on Monday. They folded and stuffed Kleenex into the fabric tissue holders that I had made. They also put drawstrings into the little bags that I’ve been sewing like a crazy woman. They want to help with more, so I’m sewing more little bags. Grace (teenager) wants to help me make some knotted bracelets, too. I hope we have time to work on them this week with all that is going on. It will be fun.

I also cut out 16 more Bible bags today. I sewed up 2 so that I could have 5 ready for Wednesday for the new ladies at Las Quimeras. I cut out 2 aprons to sew up for door prizes for Monday’s Women’s Conference. I am so tired of sewing for today, but I love it!

I found some Singer sewing machines at PriceSmart in Managua. They have off brand ones here in León and I would rather have a major brand so that I can get accessories and parts. They are the same price as the ones here in León, so I think they will be the best bet. I’m just waiting on God to bring on the donations to buy them. The sewing ministry is really going to make a big difference in some of these ladies lives. I’m so glad that God created me with a heart for sewing and crafts. How awesome to get to do that as a ministry!

Saturnino make my little shelf to put on top of my table. It’s 7” high, 12” deep and 22” long. Alberto kept asking me if it is a stool for my feet. I told him no, but that is a good idea! This shelf will let me put the printer on top and have room underneath for desk-type accessories. When you live in a small space you have to go verticle!!!

I was thrilled to get a new handle for my toilet. I’m still very happy about it. But now I am dealing with a leak where the supply line goes into the tank. My bathroom floor floods about once a day. At least it’s clean water, though. Saturnino will have to work on it for me again on Monday.

Charlie was very excited to see the new Mission House. He likes it very much. He knows how much it means to the ministry to have a good place for the teams to stay. I think everyone will love it. It’s not new or fancy, but by Nica standards it’s pretty nice. There are all kinds of ‘issues’ since it’s an older building and in a third world country, but it’s just right for me!

The team went to church tonight to hear Steve preach. We don’t usually send the team out on the day that they arrive, but since Steve was going to be preaching, Mike thought it was a good idea. Sherry took Manuel home. Mary and I stayed here at the Mission House to take care of some things. I think they are all back now. I heard them for just a little bit going to their rooms and now it’s all quiet. I’m sure they are beat. Charlie said they left Paragould at 2:00am this morning. They will sleep good tonight!

Speaking of sleeping, I’m headed to my bed now. Fresh sheets, a relaxing (cold) shower and a couple of aspirins, and I’m all set.

Tomorrow we will split up to go to 2 churches in the morning and then 2 in the evening. I love it when we have teams and get to go to different churches all week long.

Well, better hit the hay. What a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment