Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday, Oct 29, 2011 NICARAGUA

A very different day and I loved it. I had a plan all worked out to get a ton of things accomplished, but God changed it and I’m okay with how it turned out. I get too focused on getting as many tasks done in the least amount of time as possible and am pretty hard on myself if I don’t succeed. But today was a productive day in ways that I had not planned.

I had the internet cord last night and today. I normally would have run some downloads and updates overnight, since it takes much, much more time to run those things here than with highspeed internet. But, with the storm coming through last night, it was not an option. So I started the computer doing its thing as soon as I woke up.

I fixed some cereal with milk what was purchased yesterday, but the milk was sour. Yuk. Later I fixed more cereal with the shelf stable milk. I worry about what is in it to make it so stable, but it tastes okay, and sometimes I just want some cereal. I got my shower and started some laundry. I also started sorting and organizing my sewing stuff and scraps and new fabric that I bought this week. My sewing marathon last week wreaked havoc in my room. It was nice to get things back in order. Now I have to start sewing bags all over again, but at least my work space is tidy to start with.

The Hulsey’s arrived about 9:30am. German was here having a couple of meetings with different people and taking care of business. He and Mike met while Manuel and Sherry started swimming. I sat under the rancho and talked with Sherry while she was lounging on a raft in the pool.

The little boy who belongs to one of the landscaper guys was here again and went swimming with Manuel. He ended up swimming for about 4 hours straight. He’s a little fish. He is only 6 years old and the whole pool is over his head, but he knows what he is doing and keeps on going non-stop. We gave him some snacks and he barely took time to eat any of them.

After the Hulsey’s left late afternoon, German’s family arrived to swim a little. He is teaching the kids how to swim. It was not sunny and Mariangel was a little bit afraid. I asked if she wanted me to come in with her and she said yes. I changed into my bathing suit and helped her get used to the water. German was working with Ishmael, who is 3. I got Mariangel to lie crosswise on a raft and kick her feet and paddle her arms. She did pretty good. German took turns with the kids, teaching them. Elias, the landscaper’s little boy, was coaching them, too. It was soo cute!

It started sprinkling and we kept swimming. The water was a little warm and the rain was a little cold. Then it started raining harder. Once a lightning and thunder clap happened we all got out of the pool. German’s family took off for home and I came in my room to change and fix a little supper. I had only had some crackers and peanut butter and an apple earlier in the day, so I fixed another baked potato with cream of mushroom soup on top. Then later I had a tuna sandwich and some pudding.

My computer was still downloading updates, so I worked a couple of hours on over 300 Spanish verbs that I’m trying to memorize before Monday. I already know most of them. Next week I’ll be learning to conjugate them in the different verb tenses for 1st, 2nd and 3rd person and plurals. I know my head will explode then!

I’ve discovered a leak in the roof where my split air conditioner is tied together to the condenser on the roof. I’ll have to have Saturnino look at it on Monday to fix the leak. Hopefully, it won’t rain too much before then.

I have a lot on my plate here, but I’m just going to take one bite at a time and enjoy my work. I love what I get to do here. The two Women’s Bible study groups are such a blessing to me. They are so different from each other, even though we are studying the same lesson. It won’t get old, that’s for sure. I enjoy working with the guys in the English class, but those 2 days are my flex days in case anything with the ministry comes up. It’s nice to be able to be a part, but not feel pressure. I’m learning so much from doing the Chronological Bible study with FBCR. I try to email my responses to the small group questions when I have the internet access. I miss those ladies, but I know that they are praying for me, so I feel connected.

We have a team coming on Nov 19 for the week of Thanksgiving. There are 4 women on the team and we’ll be having a special event for women at the Rose of Sharon CC church on that Monday. I can’t wait. I’ve challenged the women of ROS to invite guests. It will be an awesome morning!

December is going to be busy, too. We have a large team coming for one week before Christmas. We also have 2 interns coming for most of the month. Beth will come the week the team is here and stay until I leave on the 27th. The team, interns, Mary and the Hulsey’s will all leave on the 23rd. It doesn’t seem far off now!

There are some ladies in each of the Bible study groups who have come to me with financial needs. Of course, they all have needs, but these in particular have been expressed. One of the things we hope to start is helping whoever needs help to develop skills to make items that can be sold to the teams and churches back home to help provide income to these families here. It will be a complex and interesting journey, and I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully, we will have something organized by the time we leave in December, so that during the 6 weeks that I’m in the states in Jan and Feb, Leslie can have the ladies working on things. I can’t wait to see what God is going to provide for us to do!

Better get off of here for tonight and send some emails and post some pictures while I still have the internet cord. Thanking God for another blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment