Saturday, October 8, 2011

Friday, Oct 7, 2011 NICARAGUA

Well, the electric stayed on and I slept very well. It’s still funny to me to wake up and realize where I am. I do that when in the states too. I guess I’m easily confused!

I went for a nice hour long walk into town to see how long it takes to walk to certain places along the main road. I walked all the way to 4th Ave, where the Todopoderosa church is located. That took 30 minutes total, but I was walking fast (for exercise) and it was early and not nearly as hot as it will be later in the day. It only takes me about 20 minutes to walk to Pacheco’s English Academy, where I will be helping with English classes in exchange for tutoring in Spanish grammar. I got to see what shops are along the way, too. When in a vehicle, you go by too fast to really see everything. I had taken some money with me to buy some fruit at one of the stands on the way home, but I noticed a Libreria (paper & office supplies store) open early and needed to buy a notebook. I decided to go ahead and get the notebook and just eat the fruit in my fridge for now. I was good and hot when I got back home. Saturnino and Alberto think I’m strange for walking for no real reason, but they are protective of me and keep track of when I am expected back and which way I’m planning on going.

I got a very much appreciated shower and had cereal for breakfast. I was doing my Bible study outside on the veranda in my rocker when the Hulsey’s got here by taxi. It was so good to Manuel and get a hug from him. We talked and played a little bit. Sherry and I were going through some of the rooms to see what’s what and what needs to be done next to get settled in for teams. A group of Pastors were meeting here in the Rancho and they started arriving about 10am. Jeremy and Kelly and Jeremy’s parents were among them. It was soooo good to see them! I was able to give Jeremy his special surprise from a friend back in the states. He was soooo appreciative! The meeting was supposed to start at 10:30, but not everyone showed up until about noon, so they got a late start. Normal for here!

Mike and Manuel stayed here at the Mission House while Sherry and I ran to Tip Top via taxi to pick up lunch. We had a new friend/taxi driver take us and wait and bring us back. It always takes a while at Tip Top. But we noticed that they are adding a new dining room there and that will make it a lot nicer when trying to get a table there! Our lunch was yummy and we hung around trying to be quiet and not bother the meeting. They finally broke up in the mid afternoon.

Manuel was chomping at the bit to get in the pool, which had been filling up with water all day. He had a great time splashing around. The sun was too strong for me to get in at that time, but I promised I would get in with him some other time.

Mike and Sherry and I discussed some scheduling isses for the Women’s Bible Study that I will teach in 2 different neighborhoods next week (and a 3rd one in the future). Those will be on Wednesday and Friday afternoons (with the 3rd one plugged in on Mondays). I will get to have Tuesday and Thursday afternoons to work at the English Academy run by my friend Juan Pacheco. In exchange, he will tutor me on Spanish Grammar. SWEET!

I’m looking forward to the Women’s Bible studies. We will be going through John MacArthur’s Twelve Extraordinary Women of the Bible study. I’ve done the study with friends in NYC when I lived there, and have the book and workbook. I also picked up the book in Spanish. Some of the ladies that I will get to share with are not literate, so I will need to learn how to teach without written words, too. We’ll be taking it slow since everything I say needs to be translated. But we don’t have any timeline or deadline to meet, so we’ll go at the pace that the Holy Spirit sets for us. I can’t wait!

Mike is starting Bible Study on Monday nights for VOH staff and friends and whomever God leads to us. He’s sharing from the study What Every Christian Should Know. I can’t wait to learn and share and fellowship with everyone. I’ve called most of the translators that we work with. I hope a lot of people will get to come. Studying the Word is so important for everyone, and especially for groups working together in ministry.

After the sun went down a little, I took a quick dip in the pool. It was heavenly! I want to get lots of exercise in it and am sooo thankful that it is here and ready all year long. Between walking and swimming, I hope to get strong and healthy.

Mike and Sherry brought me one of their little microwaves that they had in the states. I put it on top of Freddie the fridge and it fits in nicely with my little kitchen corner of my room. I heated up some soup tonight and then made a mini-bag of kettle corn. Yum!!

I made some phone calls back to the states tonight and found out that my sister Pam’s first mammogram since breast cancer surgery and radiation was ALL CLEAR! How wonderful!! She is so happy. She still has other chronic health problems, but she was glad to get this great news!

I’m so thankful for this first full week of being here in Nica. I’ve gotten to rest and study (more than I wanted to sometimes) and just feel like I’m ‘home’. I’m excited for the Bible Studies to get started next week and to start working in the English Academy. I’m super excited to get to see some of my friends in the weeks to come. God is blessing my socks off here. I don’t deserve this and I will try my best to bring Honor and Glory to Him through the things He allows me to do. All we have to do is say ‘I’m ready Lord, use me’.

No comments:

Post a Comment