Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2011 NICARAGUA

Demasiado lluvia. Too much rain. With a tropical storm sitting on top of us, we are having pretty much continuous rain. The problem here is that the roads flood very easily and the dirt roads turn to mud. There is no infrastructure like in the states for the water to run off in a good way. Therefore, Schools and businesses have been closed. There is hardly anyone driving or walking in town. Good thing it only rains for 6 months of the year. Then there is no rain at all for 6 months. Each season has its own challenges and you learn to adapt. I’m happy to learn how to live like a Nica. I don’t mind. Saturnino was not able to come to work today because of the rain. The area where his house is in Las Peñitas floods terribly. The bus can’t get down there.

Mike, Sherry and Manuel came by to pick me up in a taxi (with soaking wet seats) and we went to my favorite restaurant, Callejon (Narrow Street) for lunch. I got my usual, churazco (flank steak with a pesto-like topping called chimichurri) and steamed veggies. The people who own the restaurant remember me (I do kind of stick out down here) and know that I always get the same thing. They are very nice people. We were the only people in the usually overcrowded restaurant. Afterall, it was raining… German met us at the restaurant with the van and we then dropped him off at home.

After lunch we stopped at a grocery store called Salman. They also have some items for the home. I love to see what they have and see how crazy the prices are. Then it was back to the Mission House to work on some of the rooms and such. Manuel and I had a ‘meeting’. He likes to take notes and does business much the way that Dad does by phone calls, texting, emails and in person. It’s fun to watch Manuel get things done.

German was finally free to meet with Mike back at the Mission House, and by that time, I needed to leave for my time at the English Academy, so the Hulsey’s jumped in the van and dropped me off at Pacheco’s school and they went on home.

I had the best time at the English Academy. I am working with 3 students who are taking an accelerated English program. 2 were there tonight (1 couldn’t come because it was raining) and I very much enjoyed meeting Jonathan and Salvador. We spent the next 2 hours talking about lots of stuff in English. They thanked me many times for coming to speak with them in English. They are excited to practice. I understand completely, as I too, love to practice my Spanish one-on-one. I know how much this time means to them and I’m happy to be a part of it.

We spoke about life in the United States, why I would rather live here, how I knew that God wanted me to be a missionary, what families are like in the states, how school is mandatory, how expensive universities are, if people actually get good jobs after college, how North Americans socialize since they live more isolated lives when at home, what Voice of Hope Ministries does and is planning for the future, etc. Juan (the teacher) even talked a lot out child rearing and the differences between the two cultures. Two hours flew by so quickly! I have an assignment for Thursday’s class: to speak on a topic of my choice that reflects a part of the NAmerican culture. I can’t decide what to choose for this first time. Hmmmmm.

After the English class, Juan spent some time with me reviewing my Spanish skills (or lack thereof) and what I would like for him to help me with. I spoke with his wife Ana, also. One of the things that I need to change when down here is my response when someone gets my attention or when I don’t understand what they just said. In English, we tend to say ‘what?’ when someone calls our attention or if we don’t understand. I used to say ‘qué?’ (which means what) in
Spanish, but was told by my Mexican friends that saying it was not really polite. They respond with ‘mande?’ Well, down here, they consider that word impolite. Juan and Ana said I should use ‘repite, por favor’ or ‘qué quieres?’ or ‘qué dice?’ or ‘diga’ or something along those lines. It is very hard for me to break the habit of saying mande. But I’m going to try!! I don’t want to offend anyone!

I was walking back to the corner to get a taxi home since it was dark. Juan caught up with me on his bike to help me. At the same time that he was walking toward me calling my name and pointing to a taxi, I kept thinking that I was hearing my name on the street behind me, but thought that was crazy. Then this man on a bike next to me on the corner got my attention and pointed to indicate that someone behind me was calling me. I turned around and it was German! His family was driving by and Mariangel saw me and told her parents to stop. They gave me a ride to the Mission House on their way home. How fun!! When we got close to the house, I called Alberto on my cell and he opened the door for me. He always takes my elbow to help me up the steps. It’s like having my own butler!

I fixed some soup for dinner and sat in my rocker for a while. I called my friend Nana Ruth and talked for a while. Then I played cards on my cell phone for a little bit (a habit that is turning into an addiction, I’m afraid) and then got ready for reading and bed.

Because it’s supposed to rain most of the week, the roads won’t be very passable, so we are kicking off the women’s Bible studies next week. We are asking the pastors in both areas to really build up the beginning of the ministry and to let me know about how many ladies might attend. I’m going to get them all notebooks and pens. Even if they can’t write, they can take notes by drawing or whatever method will help them to remember what we talk about.

It was a very good day. Things here move at their own pace and you definitely have to be flexible and easy going. Sometimes that is hard for North Americans, but it’s getting easier for me as I am turning more Nica every day.

I’m so blessed to be able to live in just a small part of God’s great big interesting world. So blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment