Saturday, October 8, 2011

Thursday, Oct 6, 2011 NICARAGUA

Another day that turned out opposite of what I had planned. But that’s ok.
I figured that the Hulsey’s would be over bright and early and that we would meet and plan and shop for groceries, etc. And that the technician would come and finally put my air conditioner in. But what happened is that the Hulsey’s were homebound (due to the van being rented out for some income), the technician didn’t show up until late in the day and then didn’t have the material needed to install the new A/C unit. On top of that, the electric was turned off for the whole day.

It got pretty hot in my little room. I sat out on the hot veranda in my rocker for a while in the morning and then moved to my room with a battery powered fan. German came by to bring me some bottled water for today and tonight. Without power I had non-cooked meals, which was fine by me… cereal with milk, oj, apple, tomato and cucumber sandwich, cookies and some nuts. I rested for a little while with the battery fan on my bed, but every time I got a little drowsy I would think that I heard someone knocking on the gate. Thinking it might be the technician, I jumped up and ran out there. It was just noise from people going down the street. But I rested, just the same. Most people here don’t have A/C or even fans, so I let it be ‘learning’ experience to put me more in tune with the people I will be working with. I needed to get acclimated back to Nica anyway.

One of our guards, Alberto, worked here at the property before we started renting it. He is nice and he is getting used to my poor Spanish. His son Carlos and 2 grandsons Angel and Kevin stopped by this evening for a little while. (It turns out that Carlos sells us the Bibles that we have been giving out when teams are here. Small world!!) The boys are 6 and 10. They are intrigued that I know English so well and am studying Spanish. They asked how I learned English. ☺ They got some chairs and we sat outside my room on the veranda and chatted for a while. All in Spanish I might add. Angel wants to be a doctor when he grows up. Kevin wants to be a policeman or a preacher. They have no other siblings and their mother’s name is Brenda. They thought it is neat that I’m going to live here in Nicaragua part of the time. I shared some cookies with them and we had a nice visit. I asked them to come and visit often. I’m sure they will, since they really come to see their grandfather. Angel told me that they were here last Sunday when their church did the baptism in the pool. He saw me looking out my window. How funny. It was nice to make some new friends today.

We had a visitor this morning who was looking to set up baptisms in our pool for his church on Sunday. We had him talk to German. I don’t know what was decided. Once we get the pool completely filled, it might be too deep if the baptism candidates are short or young. We’ll see.

It’s starting to storm, so I will get off of here for a while. Our electric will probably go out again, since it usually does when it storms. I wouldn’t want to get spoiled and have it on for more than a few hours at a time! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment