Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday, Oct 5, 2011 NICARAGUA

This will probably be short and sweet. It’s been a pretty quiet day.

I didn’t get my walk this morning, because of shift changes with the guards/groundskeepers and waiting for the technician to come back to hook up the new air conditioner. (he never did show up)

I filled my day with reading, studying, listening to music, Bible Study, rearranging some stuff in my room, fixing various meals out of my limited food stuffs. I kind of felt like Chopped on the Food Channel, where they make dishes out of collections of unrelated items. I had cereal and oj for breakfast and a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. My favorite so far was my tomato and cucumber sandwich for supper tonight, with black olives for an appetizer. I chased it with chocolate pudding. My stomach is trying to figure out what the heck is going on. ☺

I read a book on ministering to women. It took all day off and on, but I got it done in one day. I’m a day ahead on my Chronological Bible study (due to my crazy brain mixing up the dates) and decided to just keep going a day ahead.

I had a quick nap this afternoon, which is always nice. I have my twin bed up against the wall long ways. I put my pillows along the wall and it looks kind of like a daybed. To mix things up a little, I sleep with my head at one end for night time and switch to the other end for naps. I know… I’m strange.

There is a spot for my rocker by the door and sometimes I sit inside and other times I move it to the veranda when the weather and the mosquitoes allow. I love sitting outside. I have my window and door open most of the time. It’s nice.

I was moving some clothes out of a suitcase into a storage bin for under the bed when I found the camera card reader for my computer in the bottom of the suitcase. I knew that I would eventually find it! I had quickly packed up my room last July when I had to give it up for a large team. I didn’t have time to put it where it belonged and I remembered thinking to myself that I would eventually find it wherever I put it. I just couldn’t remember where that was. I laughed at myself when I did find it today.

My bed is tall enough to put bins underneath and use them as drawers for my fold up clothes and other stuff. I can also put a small gray tub under there and I pull it out partially at night to use as a nightstand. Making my room an entire home reminds me of living in NYC. I’ve learned to be space-efficient! I roughly measured my room today. It’s 10x14 and the bathroom is 4x8. Not too bad. On little corner near the bathroom door (and sink) is my kitchen area with stacking bins for food and dishes and next to that is Freddie the mini-fridge. Another corner is my work area with a square plastic table, chair and a power strip. I have a long tablecloth on it so I can store stuff underneath. I have a small clamp on light right now, but will be looking for a bigger lamp to brighten up this corner. It’s pretty efficient. I like it.

I’ve sent messages to all my Nica friends telling them that I’m here now. I can’t wait to get together with them soon. Today I was blessed to have interacted with all of our guards, Saturnino, Alberto, Mauricio (and his bro Lorenzo), as well as our cleaning lady Arecely.

The Hulsey’s just landed in Managua and are on their way home. Manuelito just called me to see how Nicaragua is. ☺ We made a date to give each other a hug tomorrow. I told him that I got to meet his new puppy Buster. It will be fun to have Manuel around. I miss him!

I guess I should head off to bed for now. I’m sure the Hulsey’s will be over early tomorrow. (Manuel wakes up about 5am) I can’t wait to chat and plan and get busy!

I’m so blessed to be here and am thankful for this (almost ) week to settle in and relax by myself. It’s been a good retreat for me with the Lord, especially after the craziness of getting ready to come down here. But I’m ready for company now! And I can’t wait to get busy with ministry stuff. God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment