Saturday, October 29, 2011

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2011 NICARAGUA

Sooooo, so tired tonight. But it’s been a good day.
I got up early and was trying to review my Spanish homework before getting ready for the day. I kept getting phone calls from Mike, but the reception in my room was not good and the calls kept dropping. I went outside by the little gate and talked to him. Then I went back to my room to try and hurry and finish my homework, and then another call would come. Crazy! Then I gave up and took my shower and right when I got out the phone rang again, but I couldn’t go to the gate in my birthday suit, so I had to hurry and get dressed and call Mike back. Phone service can be very frustrating down here. Then Sherry called, but evidently had not talked to Mike and we had the same conversation with the dropped calls and everything. LOL Anyway, I got dressed and gave El Gato (our electrician) Mike’s message and then finished my homework really quickly.

Mike and Manuel got here before I left for Spanish class and Manuel was disappointed that I couldn’t take time to play with him this morning. I hated to let him down, but I had to get to class. (we did get to play later in the day)

I took off walking to class and it was a gorgeous morning. Sunny and not too hot yet. I had on my sunscreen and hat and was ready for the trip. I stopped at the little store with sewing notions for some oil for the sewing machine. I was glad that they have it. Then I stopped at the friendly little Libreria to buy a receipt book, another notebook for myself and a few goodies for my kid friends. It was fun shopping this morning. I made it to class a few minutes late, but Juan was even later, so it was fine. I was reviewing what we have studied so far this week and was glad to have a few minutes to cool down and rest after my walk.

We had a very good class today. I feel like I have been going for over a week and it’s just been 3 days. We are covering a lot of ground since I already knew some stuff. He said that the stuff we were studying today was what he teaches his classes in the second month. No wonder my brain feels like it is going to explode!! But I want to keep going as fast as possible because I want it all to sink in and keep it fresh.

After class, I walked back to the Mission House and just before I got there, German’s family pulled over to give me a ride. It was fun to see them.

The Hulsey’s and Leslie had went to La Unión for some groceries and came back to make hamburgers for lunch. I joined them and it was good. I jumped on the sewing machine for finish the last 7 bags for today’s Women’s Bible study at Las Quimeras church. I was on a tight time line. After lunch I spent 5 minutes playing with Manuel and then told him that I had to work some more. Leslie came and sat in my room to chat and type on the computer while I was sewing. It was nice to have her visiting. I rushed to finish the bags, change and get packed for the study.

Oscar met us here and we all traveled to the Bible study together. We had to stop at a store on the way to pick up a cable that Oscar needed for his video camera so he could use the microphone when he was taping the Bible study. We go to the church a little late, but we made it!

What a great time we had at the study! We gave them their Bible bags and let them use colored sharpies to decorate the front pockets to personalize them. We ended up with more women than we anticipated, which is a good problem to have. I need to collect more money to buy more Bibles for them. And I need to make more bags! I was very encouraged by the turnout and the women seem so thankful to have us there to minister to them. Many of them give me and Leslie hugs for coming and it’s wonderful to know that the Lord is blessing this time together.

Darling is especially precious to me. She has the most beautiful eyes. I could never remember her name from each time that we went out there, even though it is a special name. She is tickled that I remember it now. She had 3 in-laws at the study as well as her 2 teen aged daughters. There were 3 teen sisters there that gave me a note after the class. Another lady was so happy to have us there that she kept smiling and smiling. These ladies are so hungry for the Word and for someone to minister to their spiritual walk. I love being there. Pastor Sergio said that he would try to get together some refreshments for the ladies for next week. We told them that the Bibles and bags and notebooks were gifts from our ministry and that their gift to us would be their presence each week. I can’t wait to see what God is going to do with this group of ladies!

After the study, we jumped in the van and headed back to León. We had a few errands to do on the way home to the Mission House. We were having a surprise birthday party for German’s wife, Johanna. Sherry was fixing a very delicious dinner. We stopped at Mike and Sherry’s house to pick up a few things, including Buster the dog. Then we had to stop at the flower shop so German could buy Johanna a bouquet of flowers. He picked red roses (good job German!) When we stopped to let German off to get his motorcycle, Leslie and Oscar jumped out and bought some fruit at a little stand on the corner. They felt bad not to have a gift for Johanna. Of course, Oscar had to ‘taste test’ the fruit to make sure it was good. We finally got back to the Mission House and Johanna’s parents were here. Her brother and sister-in-law came, too. German called Johanna to come over for some reason and when she got here she was very surprised. She said that she had not had a birthday party before and she felt very special. Leslie’s husband, Jorge, joined us, too. We had grilled chicken skewers with peppers, onions and pineapple, baked beans and homemade potato salad. Sherry had made a cake with Johanna’s favorite icing and also bananas Foster. So yummy!

Everyone had a good time. We all ate way too much food. Johanna was happy and it was a very nice evening.

Leslie will be working with us fulltime now. I’m so excited and she and Jorge are, too. She will be helping Sherry with translating with the workers and running errands and such. She’ll be available for translating for Mary and me on errands and shopping and stuff. She will translate for me at the 2 Bible studies I teach each week. And she will have a lot of responsibilities concerning the Fiestas when we have teams. It’s exciting to have her on board.

I’m so tired I need to get off of here for now. It’s been a fun day and I feel like I’ve run a marathon all day long. Now I am relaxed and feel like a wet noodle. My brain is so full it’s spilling out my ears and my heart is so happy it can only sing praises to my God and King! What a great life that God has given me. I’m very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment