Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Monday, Oct 17, 2011 NICARAGUA

Monday, October 17, 2011

Another rainy day, but not the whole day. Just off and on. But when it starts raining, it pours. Everyone keeps saying ‘Just one more month of winter (rainy season)’. I’m ready for some sunshine! But it’s not depressing. Just refreshing and natural. It’s just a little unhandy sometimes.

I woke up this morning and stretched and fell back asleep until 8:30!!!! It felt wonderful, but I didn’t get my walk in. But it was raining off and on anyway. I sleep very well here. My bed is solid and a little bit hard, but I like it that way.

I had some quick cereal and a quick shower and some quick Bible study and then it was time to get busy around here. Aracelys was here cleaning and Saturnino and Alberto were working on the grounds. I thought I heard someone knocking at the little gate, but it was Saturnino and Alberto in the next room putting up curtain rods. By the way, you can’t buy ready made curtain rods here like in the states. You have to have them made out of wood. We’ve been waiting for the curtain rod guy for a bout a week. He couldn’t come because it was raining. ☺

German called to say that there was going to be meeting here and to make sure that Alberto got the tables and chairs put out. He was sweeping up the leaves on the ground and the wind would just blow them right back where they were. Poor guy. He was doing his best!

The first 2 people arrived for the meeting. Danilo was driving the van and I got a big hug from him. It was so good to see him. The couple are from the states and actually live in Noblesville IN, just an hour from where my family lives. They told me that they could hear a southern accent in my voice. I told them that I have lived in Arkansas for 21 years now, so it’s rubbing off on me.

Sherry and Manuel got here shortly after. Mike stayed home working on the computer. German arrived, as did others for the meeting. Sherry spoke with the Saturnino and Alberto (through Leslie) about their duties and how things are going and what materials they need for their chores. I got the chance to put a load of towels in the washer and Aracelys dried them for me. Sherry showed the guys how to vacuum the pool. They think it’s very ‘interesting’ to say the least. She explained that the pump needs to run 12 hours every day and that the bottom needs to be vacuumed everyday. Alberto seems to like skimming the top for leaves, too. It’s important to keep the pool as clean as possible here since the water is not filtered otherwise.

Manuel and I had our first 5 minutes of playing together today. He’s so funny. He seems to do well if he can get my (or anyone’s) undivided attention for a little while. Then he doesn’t mind so much having to share us with others. After playing, he decided to lay on my bed to rest and I sat in my rocker and we talked a little bit. His mom thought that was funny.

I asked Aracelys if she has a prefernce on styles of aprons. She wears one everyday when working. I’m going to make her some. She is such a hard worker and a very wonderful, sweet person.

Sherry, Manuel, Leslie and I went to have lunch and run errands. We get tired of eating chicken all the time (except for Manuel). Leslie was having a hard time figuring out restaurants for us gringos, since we need to have the food cooked with purified water, etc. Sherry remembered a new restaurant in down by the square. I think the name is Al Cabón. It was a very nice place and had delicious food. It took forever, but was worth the wait. The bathrooms were great, too. That’s a very important thing for down here.

We then went to a $1,2,3 store and found some mirrors for the rooms. I grabbed some little plastic bins to put my sewing notions in.

Then we were off to La Unión for groceries. You have to restock on fresh stuff every few days. I was out of OJ, milk and cereal. I’m good on everything else for now. Although, I always check the snackpack pudding aisle. They were down to the last package of chocolate and they don’t replenish for months, so I grabbed it for my little pantry. We split up at that point and Sherry and Manuel went home in one taxi and I went home in another. Leslie went home by bus, I think. The taxi I got in already had a fare going to a school. The guy decided we could drop off that kid and then take me home. On the way, he stopped to see 2 other people were going our way. He was making the best of his route! His taxi was missing the inside door panels. It’s funny to see the condition of vehicles here. You are thankful for anything than runs.

The people who are renting rooms this week got here finally. They are attending a conference and are staying here at the Mission House. This helps them out and also helps us out with the rent payment. I was told they were from El Salvador. I was talking with the ladies of the group and they told me that they speak English. I think the ladies are actually from the states. She said they left New Jersey this morning and was tired of travel. One of the guys said that it was one lady’s first time in Nica and the other’s 3rd time. One asked me what in the world brought me to Nica. I’m always glad to share my story. They got settled into their rooms and then left for dinner and the beginning of the conference. They got back this evening right when a downpour hit so I gave them some extra towels. I think I hear them outside on the veranda packaging the rice that they brought in huge bags. I hope to find out more about what they are doing this week. It’s always fun to see what God has people working on.

Our VOH Bible study was good tonight. Just German, Oscar, Me and Sherry were there, due to work schedules and the rain, of course. Mike did a good job of explaining things and we all had good discussions. German had ridden his motorcycle here and then the van was returned from its day of work, so German took everyone home and left the bike here. Good thing, since right when they were leaving it started a downpour. I told him that I would take the bike for a spin, but I don’t think he believed me.

Alberto’s nephew, Juvel is staying over tonight again. He is very nice and helps Alberto. Sherry had made some sandwiches and coffee for tonight and gave them some.

Coco came to take care of kids tonight during the Bible study. She only had Manuel and her son Joshua. She works for Sherry and is Aracelys’ aunt. She always wears her skirts with the zipper part way down, because they are too small for her. Sherry wants to give her some clothes. I asked Coco tonight if I could measure her waist to make her some skirts. She was very grateful. I can’t wait to whip some up for her. I don’t have much fabric here right now, but I’ll use what I have and then when I come back in Feb and when the FBCR team comes in March, I’ll have tons to use!

I talked to Juan Pacheco tonight (teacher at the English school). He has to work this week as a translator, and usually has to cancel his English classes when he is gone. This week, I’ll teach our little class so that the guys can still be there. I can’t wait. I enjoy so much our time together. I won’t be staying late this week, since Juan won’t be there to tutor me. I’ll have to spend more time studying on my own and surprise him next week!

I got my questions answered for the Tuesday morning Chronological Bible study back in Rogers. I usually email my answers to Cathy, our small group leader, to share with the class. Since I didn’t have access to the internet cord this time, I just called her and told her that I couldn’t send them. We had a nice chat. I told her to give my greetings to the gals. I really enjoy that study. I’m even ahead a few days on my reading. I can’t believe it will be finished in just a couple of months. Of course, I’m raring to go and start over again in January.

I guess I should go for now. Can’t think of much else to share for today. God has been gracious and generous with His blessings today. I’m going to sleep a very contented woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment