Sunday, October 2, 2011

Friday, Sept 30, 2011 NICARAGUA

I woke up early and got my shower so I could throw the last of my dirty duds in the washer. I gave the bathroom a good last cleaning and packed up my personal stuff. I always like to leave my room and bathroom ready for Deanna’s grandkids to stay in if needed. I was ready early, so I sent some emails and made some phone calls while I waited for JP and Noemi to pick me up for the airport.

JP and I had had a conversation about going to the airport. I told him that Deanna likes to take me but the suitcases and tub are too heavy for us to maneuver into the airport so I asked for their help. I meant for them to take me to the airport, but JP thought I meant for them to just meet me there to carry the stuff in. When they called to see if I needed them to pick up my luggage, I said ‘I need you to pick up ME’. Ha ha.

At the airport, we got the tub and heavy suitcase inside and the lady didn’t even bother to look inside. I guess their xrays are pretty good. I don’t think that they even weighed them, I was too worried to look at the scale! Then I think that the fee for the second checked bag was waived. What a nice blessing! I got through security and then blew kisses to JP and Noemi back at the little waiting area. They were so sweet to take care of me. I had plenty of time, so I strolled down the new addition to the terminal. It’s very nice without being too fancy. I liked it very much. I had a quick snack and then watched TV (my last time for 3 months). Too bad that the station was covering the Michael Jackson doctor’s trial. But it felt good to sit there with my legs propped up on the carryon (which won’t happen much on travel day). The flight to Houston was uneventful and I enjoyed reading on my Kindle and dozing a little.

In Houston, I had a 4 hour layover, so I walked a bit and then decided to have lunch in a different terminal, just for some variety. I randomly picked a restaurant I had not seen before and got some good (but expensive) food. There were no tables for 2 people, so I had to sit at a 4 top. I saw a couple looking for a place to sit and offered for them to join me. We had a lovely conversation. They are from the Houston area and heading to Washington state to visit relatives. Their names were Steve and Jo (my middle name) and they are Christians and enjoy missions. I gave them my contact info and they prayed for me. What a delight! How awesome to see what little blessings God has in store of us if we just take the time to look around.

I was able to gate-check my carryon bag so I was able to put my stuffed backpack in the overhead compartment. I had to put it back a few rows, but it wouldn’t fit under my seat, since I was in an aisle seat (which has less underneath room for some reason). I grabbed my Kindle, glasses and water bottle and settled in. One blessing was that out of the totally sold out plane, the seat next to me was empty! Fearing that I would have to wait for the plane to empty to be able to walk back to get my backpack, I grabbed it and put it under the seat next to me. Yay! I enjoyed the flight and read a Max Lucado book (a short one) on my Kindle during my 2 flights. Nice was to spend the time. Note to self: DON’T eat airline food. Enough said.

When we landed in Managua, it had been raining very hard and the streets were flooding. Not unusual, but that meant that the runway was pretty wet. As we ‘touched down’ the we hydroplaned down the runway. The pilots used everything they had to slow the plane. It was rather noisy with the flaps at the ultimate position for stopping and we could feel that we were going too fast. Finally the wheels grabbed the pavement and we kind of jerked but kept straight. As we slowed everyone started clapping. Nice job guys!

I got through Immigration and got my bags. What a treat that there were luggage carts available (not always the case) for me and my 2 big checked items and 2 heavy carryons. I got through Customs quickly and found German and Joanna waiting by the outside door. It was so good to see them! We ran to the van (as much as you can with suitcases) in the rain and got settled into Chinchin, our little van.

It continued to rain hard and the streets were flooding. We had to start, stop, veer left and right, avoid stranded vehicles and deep water. It made me a little carsick and again I reminded myself not to eat airline food! But we finally made it out of Managua and onto the highway. The rain had quit by then and we just had the long drive ahead of us. We had talked non-stop while in town, but by the time we hit the open road, I settled back to nurse my queasy stomach and rest. I noticed that Joanna had scooted over to the middle and she and German were enjoying the rest of their date night without the kids. It’s so nice to see them happy!

After a quick stop for some bottled water for me, we made it to the Mission House. How wonderful to be in MY room! All my stuff was in it, still packed up, but my bed was ready for me to fall into! I slept very well. Although I kept thinking about all the things I wanted get unpacked and put away. I woke up early and was pleasantly surprised to see that I was really here. ☺

All in all, a great travel day with many little blessings from God to treat me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment