Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tuesday, Oct 18, 2011 NICARAGUA

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What a great day! It’s still rainy off and on, but not quite as bad as the previous few days. I woke up to a very light knock on my door. German was here to get his motorcycle and I had the key in my room (at Alberto’s suggestion). I’m sure they hated to bother me, but it was no big deal. I got up and did some exercises in my room since I don’t trust the weather enough to take long walks. Then I showered and dressed and fixed oatmeal for breakfast. The team that is staying here this week were sitting under the rancho having breakfast provided by the church that they are working with. The ladies asked if I was familiar with gallo pinto. Oh yeah… If you are in Nica for more than a day, you learn about this beans and rice breakfast item.

I got the chance to chat with the ladies a little bit more this morning. It was so fun to talk about their walk with the Lord and how He has called them to be here this week. Since they live in New Jersey, we shared a lot about living in NYC, too. They think I am pretty lucky to get to live here and serve full time and I agree. They left for their assignments for the day and we plan to talk more later in the week when we run into each other.

Mike and German went to Managua today and Sherry called to say that she and Manuel were staying at home today. So it was just me and Saturnino and Alberto. They guys were busy doing chores and I got out the sewing machine and made stuff out of towels and some fabric that I had brought with me. I ended up making more cleaning cloths for Aracelys and an apron for her, a skirt for Coco and cut up some more towels for a bathmat and a doormat.

I spent some time talking with Alberto while he enjoyed lunch. Saturnino was very busy today. At one point I could hear him talking to Alberto, but could only see Alberto. Then I looked up and there was Saturnino on the roof of one of the little building fixing a leak. If I understood Saturnino correctly, I think they will start on my shelves tomorrow. I finished up my sewing for now so that I can move stuff out of their way if need be.

I had some chicken noodle soup for lunch. Before long, it was time to get ready for English class. Juan is translating this week, so I am leading the class today and Thursday. I called a taxi because I didn’t trust the weather for walking. Last Thursday, I walked to class and got rained on 3 times. I wasn’t sure if I was going to have enough Córdovas for a taxi there and back. I hadn’t exchanged any US money lately. I had the taxi drop me off at the corner by the bank close to the English school. They only let a couple of people in at a time and there was already someone waiting there by the guard when I pulled up. So I decided to go on to the school and figure exchanging money later. But when I walked across the street there was a money exchange guy right there. They are out sometimes, but I hadn’t seen him at all until that moment. Hmmmm… Anyway, I exchanged some money and was ready for the next few days of taxis.

I got to the class first and looked through my Spanish book. Then Salvador came in and we had a really nice chat. He is pretty quiet and doesn’t talk as much as Jonathan in class, so it was good to have one on one time with him. Jonathan came rushing in and then Mario came a little later.

We discussed all kinds of things today; idioms, trips we’ve taken, where we would go if we could pick anywhere in the world, politics, and then they asked me to tell them about my life. That was a long story! At one point, Mario asked me what is the most important thing in my life. Well, I was ready to share about my Jesus!!! I could tell from their reactions to ‘religious’ conversations that they weren’t comfortable at first, but I asked pointed questions (just getting to know them) and they shared that Salvador and Jonathan are Catholic, but don’t go to church much. Mario doesn’t go at all. As we were talking, I asked them what would they say to God if He asked them why He should let them into Heaven. That got the ball rolling! I then talked about Christ and the only way to eternal life is through Him. We talked about religious denominations and how others worship and how Catholics pray to their saints (although the guys called them idols) and how some denominations care more about what you wear or how you look on the outside. We even talked about my tattoo and that it is a scripture reference about going out to tell people about Jesus. It was a very good discussion. Some healthy seeds were planted.

When I asked them what topic they want to discuss on Thursday, they say religion again. I’m going to present the Gospel and share the best I can. I’m so thankful for this opportunity to talk with them.

I can’t believe how well they speak English, especially after 7 weeks. They were telling me about an eclipse of the sun, asking how I feel about the US participation in the war in the Middle East, and numerous other things. It blows my mind how much they have learned. They are taking the 4 month class in accelerated time and are doing great. They want to learn English as much as I want to learn Spanish. Juan, the teacher came into the school as we were wrapping up. After class, we talked for a while and then he walked me to the corner and ordered some chicken for me from a street vendor that German had taken us to before. (hope it’s still safe) And then I got a taxi home.

Alberto opened the door for me and the group of 5 mission team was preparing to leave for church. They had to split up into 2 groups, so the ladies and 1 guy left in my taxi. While they were waiting for another taxi, I talked to the 2 other guys. It’s cool that they are Hispanic, live in the states and come here to stay while they are working in Nica. I feel that God has blessed me with such a treat in getting to meet them. Especially, since we can talk about NYC. We talked about learning other languages and doing mission work. I am really enjoying them.

I fixed a baked potato to go with my chicken and then settled in to do some hand sewing. I was really missing video stimulation, so I put a Disney movie that Sherry loaned me into my computer and watched Beauty and the Beast. That was a nice change of pace.

A group of people from the church that the mission team is working with came by to bag up the rice and beans to be given out to 100 families. It didn’t take them long to get everything prepared. Now it’s just me and Alberto until the team comes back from church service. I’ll probably be in bed by then, but I hope to see them in the morning.

I can’t wait to surprise Aracelys tomorrow morning with her new apron. And all I lack on Coco’s skirt is to put some elastic in the waist. It’s even hemmed. I wonder if I can find and afford elastic down here. We’ll see.

Tomorrow afternoon is the first Women’s Bible Study at Las Quimeras church. It will be so fun to get to know the ladies. I hope the rain holds off, because that road from the highway is all rugged dirt.

I guess I should head to bed for today. It’s been such a pleasant day. I love living here at the Mission House. So much better than the old one. Lots more opportunity to interact with people, too. Life is sweet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment