Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sunday, Oct 9, 2011 NICARAGUA

Today turned out different than planned. That happens a lot down here. But it’s okay if you are open to God’s changing plans.

We thought we would be going to church this evening when German was free to interpret for us. And there was supposed to be someone (called El Gato) come early to work on the pipes to the pool pump. And there was supposed to be a church group who were going to use the pool to baptize today. But none of that happened. German and El Gato didn’t come, the church group didn’t come (probably because it looked like rain).

The Hulsey’s picked me up and we went grocery shopping at Super Palí (a nice new store owned by Walmart) and then we had lunch and then finished our grocery shopping at La Unión (also owned by Walmart). We can actually get a few ‘American’ food items at these stores. You just never know what will be there and it usually costs double or triple (or more). I was excited to see that Palí had the mayo/oliveoil combo that I use on my tuna. (can’t use regular mayo). La Unión isn’t carrying it right now and I was rationing the one I had. Dry tuna is not a favorite of mine! I was really excited!

Our lunch was really good. We usually go to Tip Top Chicken or sometimes Hollywood Pizza (and I get grilled chicken from Tip Top next door) when we eat out. But today we went to a Mediterranean restaurant that we had been to before. It was a nice change. I like to get steak there and mashed potatoes. The potatoes are just the way I like them, lumpy, and they put them in a star shaped thing to serve them on the plate. Sherry got steak, too, and Mike and Manuel had the pasta. It was good. It started really storming while we were in there. As a lot of buildings are down here, part of the restaurant is a garden area that is uncovered. Every time it thundered it was LOUD!

We got back to the Mission House and put away groceries. We rested a little bit while waiting for the rain to stop so Manuel could swim. He and I had a ‘meeting’ in the conference room. He had Alberto unlock the room and bring in a table and some chairs. Then Manuel turned on the fan and pointed it at the table. He had purchased a notebook at the store, so I loaned him a pen and he was ready to have the meeting. I posted a pic of him at the meeting table on facebook. He had me take dictation for him. It was a good meeting. Then we went out under the rancho with his folks and he read the meeting notes to his dad. He did a good job.

I was excited to get to have a backed potato for dinner. Sherry had brought me the microwave down and I’ve loved having it! Baked potatoes are the bomb!

After the Hulsey’s left, and while it was still overcast (but not raining) I took a dip in the pool and got some exercise. It felt good and I was wrinkled like a prune when I got out. I took a quick shower and reluctantly closed my door and window when the mosquitoes started nipping at my ankles. I didn’t get a nap today, but I feel very relaxed and have enjoyed the day. I got some Bible study done this morning and some good prayer time, so I don’t feel bad about missing church, even though I sure like to go when we can. I guess I’m used to being in a Spanish speaking church without an interpreter back in the states, so it doesn’t register in my mind at first that we need to have one here. Maybe one day we will all be fluent and won’t need one for church except when we have teams in. ☺

Tomorrow Sherry and I are going to work on getting some of the rooms ready for the November team, as well as getting the kitchen and common areas sorted out and ready. There’s a lot to do in the next weeks, but it will keep us out of trouble. I have a few honey-do’s in my room, but I don’t want to take up Saturnino’s time. Sherry said to go ahead and have him take care of them, so maybe I’ll get them done this week. One thing is to put a long shelf up on each of 2 walls in my room. They will be up high and run most of the length of the walls. It will be a huge help for storage for me! And I should be receiving my bookcase this week, now that we have possession of a van for a little while. That will help me finish up my room. Being disorganized drives me crazy, but I seem to live like that a lot! That’s okay. I’m thankful for what I have.

I saw a post on facebook from Amanda Burgos asking for prayer this morning. I met she and Mark when they were NAMB missionaries in NYC and I was serving there with the 411/Parable church. It was neat that they were also from Arkansas and we even had a mutual acquaintance that I had met in Thailand. Small world. Anyway, Mark has been battling (and winning) a bout with cancer. His health has been very precarious, to say the least. He has used this journey with cancer to glorify God and has reached a lot of people through his talks. They are back in Arkansas now and enjoying family. Mark had to go back into the hospital last night and Amanda called for prayer. I posted on my own facebook page to pray for them. I know that the people I have a ‘friends’ on facebook are ones who will lift anyone up in prayer. It’s special to know that we don’t have to be introduced to brothers and sisters in Christ to care enough about them to intercede for them. Being in the family of God is such a awesome experience. Anyway, Amanda posted that Mark is better and they may get to go home tomorrow. I will daily lift them up in prayer through this tough journey and I thank God that they share Him with people as much as they can.

Our first week of Bible study for the VOH staff and friends starts tomorrow night. I’m looking forward to that so much! Just about everyone we’ve invited is planning on coming and glad that we are doing this. I so love these people!

If logistics work out, we should be starting the women’s Bible study this week, too. We’ll see how God’s plans unfold. I’m ready for whatever they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment