Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2011 NICARAGUA

Another fun day. And yes, it’s still raining. It probably will rain for the rest of the month. I’m ready for a few hours of sunshine each day, but it’s not up to me. ☺ The rain does hamper some of the ministry work and for that reason I wish it would stop for part of the day.

The Hulsey’s got here early this morning and had a chance to visit with the team staying here. Manuel and I had our first five minutes time together. Today we pretended to be husband and wife and were going to buy a car. The car that cost $20 was too much, but he thought that $48 was a better bargain, so we bought that one. Then we had to toe it home because it didn’t run. You never know what he will come up with. Then he took me pretend grocery shopping.

Sherry brought me the internet cable and I quickly jumped on the computer to download some of the commentary for my Chronological Bible study. I also posted some blogs for the last week and emailed some people. It was wonderful to catch up!

Mike left with German. Sherry met with the workers (Leslie translated) and then Sherry, Manuel, Leslie and I went to Callejon for lunch. Yum! We found out today that the family that runs the restaurant is Jehovah’s Witnesses. We’re going to add them to our prayer lists. They are very sweet and remember me from eating there so much. Ha

We called Leslie’s husband to pick us up in his taxi. We dropped Sherry and Manuel off at home and then Leslie and I came back to the Mission House until time for the women’s Bible study. We got the chance to sit and talk for about 2 hours. It was very nice.

We had a certain taxi driver come to pick Leslie and I up to go to the Women’s Bible study in Las Quimeras. German couldn’t remember his name, but called him Brother Taxi since he is a Christian. It turns out that he is Rigoberto, who drove Sherry, Mary and I home to Poneloya one day from the grocery store. That was a hilarious, but long story. I asked if he remembered and of course he did. What a treat to see him again. There was confusion about the fee that German had negotiated, so I’m going to let German work that out. But it was nice to ride in Rigoberto’s clean taxi.

When we got to Las Quimeras, it was raining pretty steady. We arrived 15 minutes early and no one was there. That’s not unusual, but when no on was there at the start time, we decided to call Pastor Sergio. They had told about the Bible Study at church on Sunday, but because of the rain, no one was getting out. Also, some of them forgot. Pastor Sergio was walking down the muddy, deeply rutted road with an umbrella yelling for people to come. It was funny. We ended up with 6 ladies of various ages and some men, too.

As I was explaining what we are planning on studying each week (Twelve Extraordinary Women of the Bible), we had to delicately explain that the Women’s Bible study is for Women. I told the men that as much as we love them, that sometimes women need to gather together to pray together, encourage each other, and sometimes talk about men. They seem to understand. The ladies seem very excited about getting the study started.

I told them that I would provide them with a new Bible (one with large print, which is very important here where there is not good lighting and many people have sight problems but don’t have glasses), a notebook, pen and a tote bag (which I will make for them). They were really excited about the large print in the Bibles. Leslie gave me good advice to choose that one to order. I’ll start making the tote bags tomorrow.

I think we will have about 10 women to start with next week. It’s a small community, but there are people who live across the main road in another community that might come once we get started. They always send their kids when we have Fiestas and VBS there. I am soooo excited to get to be with these women and to get to know them better. I know that God is going to grow each of us very much from this new opportunity.

This church is one that we have spent much time at over the last year. We have had teams come down and help provide (and do construction on) the walls and floor. They keep it clean with a broom made from tree limbs tied to a handle. They have built a little ‘lean-to’ type of structure that houses the outdoor fire pit and ‘kitchen’ that they use to prepare the meals for 120 kids each weekday. We are happy to be a part of this feeding ministry. Pastor Sergio is proud of the facility and the way that the church is stepping up to serve. I hope to get to go out to help at a feeding every once in a while, but the cost of a taxi out that far is kind of pricey. Maybe later when we have access to the van more of the time…

Leslie and I got back to the Mission House and waited for her husband to pick her up. We talked with Alberto about various things. He enjoys the company. Once Leslie left, I went to my room and fixed some cream of mushroom soup, veggie chips and ‘baked’ an apple in the microwave for dessert. Yummy.

I still have the internet cord, so I’ll get this posted and do other catching up on friends’ blogs to see what God is doing in other parts of the world. Then it will soon be bedtime.

Saturnino and Alberto are going to build and hang my shelves tomorrow (I think), so I have to move stuff from that end of the room. I can’t wait to get them up! I’ve been talking about them for weeks, huh?

Tomorrow is another English class. The guys said that they want to talk about religion again. I’m praying about getting the chance to share the Gospel with them. I am always happy for our time together for them to practice their English. And they are always so appreciative of me taking the time to work with them.

Friday will be the first day of Women’s Bible Study at Rose of Sharon CC church. Fun!!

If you want to help support the Women’s Bible Studies…
Please pray for the women and their families.
Make a $20 donation to the Voice of Hope Ministry website centralamericahope.org by clicking the donate button. Note that the money is for the Women’s Bibles and if you want a tax receipt, please note your name and address.

I can’t wait to present these ladies with their new Bibles and materials. It’s going to be so good to be with them every week. God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment