Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 NICARAGUA

Friday, Oct 14, 2011

Woke up refreshed as usual. Love waking up in my room. I had a list of chores for today, since I was going to stay home all day. Then the Hulsey’s came and said that our trip to Managua that was scheduled for Saturday would be today. Ok. I’m flexible!!

Manuel and I had our 5 minute meeting that we have each time he comes over. This gives him some attention before I get busy with Mom and Dad. I hope it helps to keep him from feeling that he is being put off till later when we are busy. Sometimes he likes to pretend that we are husband and wife and he is usually on his way to the airport to go to an important meeting. I drive us there. Sometimes our vehicle breaks down, sometimes the luggage is too heavy. You never know what the situation may be. Sometimes we have an actual meeting and he gives me dictation, which I write in his notebook. I print it legibly so that he can read it back. And other times, we pretend that we are having Fiestas. He directs everyone where they need to go. (we split up the boys, girls and adults at the Fiestas and have team members share the Gospel with them) This morning he sent the boys to me and then the girls, too, and then added the adults for me to talk to. I asked him whom HE was going to talk with and he said ‘German’. LOL His daddy is always talking with German about important matters and Manuel is following suit.

Once Sherry and Mike were done talking with the staff (Alberto, Saturnino, Araceleys) using Leslie as their translator, we got ready to head to Managua. We dropped Leslie off at home and then proceeded to German’s inlaw’s home to pick up his family. After a quick stop at On The Run convenience store for a quick bite to take with us (I got my favorite Monterrey sandwich-grilled chicken chopped up with cooked onions and a touch of cheese on a hoagie roll), we were on our way.

We were driving ChinChin today and were all cozy. Manuel and Mariangel have fun together even though they both are very limited in each other’s language. But they are learning and teach each other. Ishmael is a busy 2 year old, even in the van. At one point, Manuel was sharing his iPod with Ismael and each had one ear bud. I took a picture of them. They were so cute.

We finally arrived at PriceSmart (like a Sam’s Club) in Managua after about 1.5 hours. We were ready to get out of the van! It’s fun to look around and see what all you can get there. The prices are a lot higher than the states, sometimes 3-4 times higher, but after living here, you appreciate the chance to just go and look around.

I got some soup, veggie chips, apples, spaghetti sauce and some copy paper for the printer. My favorite purchase was a body pillow. I have my twin bed against the wall long-ways and I was thinking of making a long pillow to put along the back so that it would be like a day bed. This body pillow was only about $20 US, so I figured that is a good bargain.

Joanna and Sherry were teasing me about hugging the pillow at night since I don’t have a man. (Sherry thinks I need a husband) We were discussing the pros and cons of the pillow vs a man. It was getting funny. Then when we checked out, the guy at the door said the pillow was not on our receipt. So we had to have someone figure out what the problem was. Sherry and Joanna said I pick pillows like I picked men in my past – always trouble. Ha We finally got the pillow paid for and I enjoyed it’s comfort on the way home.

We stopped by a couple of used car lots in Managua to look at vans. We found some we like, but there is always many things to consider. Mostly, how to pay for them. ☺ Manuel had decided that he wants to marry Mariangel and thought he would like to have her pick out a car to buy for her. They were so cute when they were picking out their cars. Manuel decided to get 3 cars, even though it’s just for the 2 of them. When I asked him why 3, he said ‘why not? I have plenty of money.’ Oh, if that were only true in the real world! Ha

We made our way back home by about 6pm. It was raining again and it was nice to get inside and get dry and cozy. On the drive to Managua, Ishmael was riding in Mike’s lap (no carseats here) and Mike fell asleep. Ishmael, who is usually very busy, was resting his head on Mike’s chest and just chilling out. He was so sweet. I got a picture of them. It’s kind of a tradition to take pictures of people when they fall asleep in the vans. I now have a collection of 3 of Mike. They may come in handy for blackmail someday, but I’m afraid they are getting more common everyday.

On the way home, Manuel was telling his testimony and I was translating it into Spanish for him. Joanna was helping me conjugate my verbs into past tense. It was a good exercise for both Manuel and myself.

The electricity was out when we got to the Mission House, so I grabbed my flashlight and carried in my purchases and put them away. I was only home about 5 minutes when the lights came back on. Then they went out again about 20 minutes later. I’m not sure how long they were off that time, because I was looking at facebook and emails on my phone. (love technology!) I went to bed about midnight and slept well listening to the rain.

I’ll try to do my chores on Saturday, if life permits. No worries. There’s always tomorrow for those kinds of things. People and sharing the love of God are the things that shouldn’t be put off. Another blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment