Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Nicaragua July 11, 2010

Sunday

I woke up to lovely sounds. Ocean waves, birds singing, fans humming, and the cooks in the kitchen. (I think someone fixed the squeak in the freezer lid)

I showered and kept digging through suitcases. What a mess. I'll be glad to get everything organized after lunch.

Breakfast was fruit, eggs, gallo pinto, pico bread and tang. I usually skip the tang and just have water.

I met more of the team members who were asleep when we got in last night. There's a lot of names to remember.

It is soooooo good to see Ms Mary. It will be fun to hang out with her for the next 4 weeks.

I had quiet time before church. Group devotions will be at 7:30am.

I have so many thoughts and feelings. God is awesome. I am humbled and privileged to get to serve here.

Holy Spirit, take over my entire self today. Have me be bold for You.

Church services were good. Our group of 20 split into 4 church services. Our group went out in the boonies (of course). It is amazing what you encounter driving down the road. Oxcarts, bicycles, horses walking down the middle of the road, buses, trucks filled to the brim, motorcycles...

At our church, we met Jefferson, the Pastor's son very young son, who plays drums on a very old, broken drum set. He plays with abandon and definitely makes a joyful noise. Teresa gave her testimony and Stewart preached. Christopher was our translator and Juan translated, too.

Interesting dynamics with in the 2 teams. Very serious to very laid back. Buddy and Mickey are very outgoing. Tim is very serious. Everyone is very pleasant to work with.

I'm getting to know Beth a little better. I'm looking forward to spending more time talking with her and Mary next week when it's just us ladies.

We worked on the donations - flipflops, baby clothes, toiletries, toys, prize bags, hats, clothes, etc. and tons of candy!!

I chatted with Mary a little, rested on my bed a little while and spent more time getting to know the team after lunch.

We stopped by El Zapote on our way to 4 churches in the evening. The well isn't deep enough (dug 130 feet by hand). More money is needed to bring in the drilling rig. The community leader and the engineer were there to talk to the group. There is a hand pump well that was supplied by 'living water' project. The community leader talked about the number of families and kids in the area. There is a plan to refurbish the old 2 room school building and to build a church.

It was beginning to storm and God provided an awesome lightning show. It was scary and humbling.

We went to Prince of Peace church and it was great. Rachel gave her testimony and Chris preached. The girls signed to a praise song. There were many people of the church who sang specials.

I had the chance to pray with Philipa who rededicated her life to Christ. She has a 2 year old daughter named Kimberly.

We stopped at On The Run for a much needed bathroom break. We dropped off the translators at the Stop Light. I had some coaching on trying to master trilling my rrrrrs. I'm think I'm a lost cause.

Back to the House for hamburgers and share time and bed.
It's been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment