Friday, August 13, 2010

Nicaragua August 6, 2010

Friday

Up at 4:30 to plug in the coffeepot for the last time. (sigh) Did I mention that when I get up early like this I have to watch out for the sapos (toads) who come in the house at night? I sure don't want to step on one of them burgers!

The team had breakfast and is preparing to leave. There is nothing to do until after they leave and no where to sit, so I'm laying on my bed. I'm thinking about how much I enjoy this comfy spot. We are running out of water again this morning. I hope we get enough back to do the laundry.

Beth and I are having pancakes after the team leaves. Yum! No oatmeal today!

I'm sad about leaving, but happy about coming back in November. I'm very excited about working with Voice of Hope as much as possible.

The team left for the airport at 7:30am They took a pic of all the kids with Mary, Beth and I. After they were gone, we still didn't have water. Can't do laundry yet.

We worked on various parts of the house... cleaning out fridge and pantry, putting prizes together, packing stuff to stay and stuff to go. There wasn't much more to do, so I took a few little naps and read in between. I worked on an inventory list of what I was leaving at the house.

The water was slow in coming, so Beth got her clothes washed and then Mary washed hers. I gave up and put my dirty stuff in baggies in my suitcase. I'll have to take them home and then bring them back on the next trip. That shouldn't take up too much room.

I finally got a really quick shower and put on my summer dress. It felt good to be clean. We're all a little melancholy about leaving.

Finally, it was time to go at 3pm. We said goodbye to the cooks and cleaning ladies and Saturnino (the guard), and headed into León. It was rainy, so we only made a few stops. One was to a pharmacy to get more parasite pills for us to take after we got home to the states. Next, we stopped at German's house to drop off some ministry things that he will take charge of. While parked in the intersection, Danilo, Beth and Mary all got out of the van to walk to German's porch. Since they left their bags in the van, I stayed in it to keep things safe. While sitting there, I heard the side door slowly open and saw a man standing there. I jumped out of the van and slammed the door shut. Afterward, I found out that the man was actually Danilo's brother, Julio, and he was going to ride with us to Managua. How embarassing for me. He must have thought I was terribly rude!

My stomach was already queasy and I didn't want to make the hour and a half ride on just snacks, so we stopped by On the Run for a hot sandwich for the road. I got a combo and gave the fries to Danilo and the drink to Julio (hopefully, the drink made up for my bad manners). My stomach was much better after getting something hot in it.

We stopped in La Paz Centro to meet the Speigles to say goodbye and to get some keys that needed to go back to Rogers. It was a quick stop and we were on our way again. Danilo was trying to get to Managua to take care of some kind of business before 5pm. He was driving a little too fast and crazy for Mary's taste. It is always a rollercoaster ride on the roads with all the slow moving vehicles and animals. Danilo didn't make it in time for his errand, but we made it to the hotel just fine.

We checked into the hotel and ended up with a suite with an extra bed instead of a triple room or 2 doubles. It was really nice (especially by Nic standards). We turned on the a/c and went for dinner in the restaurant. I had lemon chicken, mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. Yummy.

A quick shower and I'm ready for bed. Mary and I are sharing a kingsize bed. It's pretty comfy and I know I will sleep well tonight. I'm tired.

I'm sad to be leaving Nic in the morning, but it feels good to be part of the team and know that I'll return in November.

I'm so thankful to God for allowing me this privilege of serving here. I'm counting many blessings tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment