Monday, November 5, 2012

November 3, 2012

3am on Saturday morning and I was awake when the van came to take Sue to the airport. She was surprised to see me outside her door. I got to say goodbye and give her some big hugs. It has been so great to have her here.

I went back to bed and read for a while and then slept a little while. Mike and Sherry and Manuel were leaving for the weekend, so they brought the little vehicle over for Mary and I to use.

I worked on some lessons for the Women’s Bible study so that Estefanie could start translating them. She loves doing that and I appreciate her diligence!

Mary and I left to meet Estefanie downtown and we went to Tip Top Chicken for lunch. We ran into Lesly, Jorge and Bruno. What a treat! Then we stopped at the ‘shoe alley’ next to La Unión grocery store and Mary and I bought some new sandals. I love that they are so cheap here! We stopped in at La Unión for a few personal groceries, but being Saturday, it was crazy! We decided to wait on our purchases.

We went to the Museum of Traditions and Legends. Estefanie had taken me there before and Mary wanted to see it. It was fun and while Mary and Estefanie climbed the stairs to walk along the upper wall (it used to be a fort/prison), I chose to stay on the ground and wait for them. I had climbed up there before, so I wasn’t missing anything. While waiting, the man running the museum struck up a conversation with me. We talked for about 10 minutes. He told me many things. 5 marriages, 2 kids, 20 years in NYC running a deli, 22 years in Miami running a restaurant… His current wife owns the museum and is from Nicaragua. He is originally from Argentina. We spoke about the weather (in all three countries) and family. He was quite the conversationalist! When we were leaving, he asked for a ride to downtown with us. I never did ask his name. ☺

We went to the little park with a mural so that Estefanie could tell us the history of the pictures. Mary wants Estefanie to write it all down for her. Estefanie likes that kind of thing. We then went down to the Eskimo shop and had ice cream. Poor Estefanie still has a bad cough from her illness last week. She decided to have a Fresca instead of ice cream. Lots of Nicaraguans think that cold food and cold drinks cause sore throats.

We got back to the team house so that Mary could skype her family at 3pm. I worked on banners some more. We noticed that they were already closing down some of the streets in preparation for the elections on Sunday. We decided to stay in all day Sunday, especially since there were no church services anywhere.

Mary and I were planning to go to church at Monte Horeb, but a big storm came up with lots of rain, thunder and lightning. We knew it would be washed out at the church site, so we stayed home.

I practiced guitar and looked up easy Christmas songs on the internet. The girls were having a great time at their retreat. It was so fun to have them here and hear their voices in the background.

It’s been a good day. We enjoyed having some time to run around town a little bit.

I started listening to the Bible on cd in Spanish while reading it in Spanish. I got through Matthew 1-6 tonight. I will love the day when I can understand hearing it without having to translate it in my mind. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment