Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 Travel Day

Travel Day back to the States.
I woke up at 1:30am and couldn’t go back to sleep because I was worried I wouldn’t wake up at 3am to get ready to leave. I read a little bit and prayed a lot and then got up to take my last cold shower for awhile.

I had everything ready for the departure, so it was a very peaceful morning. God really blessed me with a great time with Him.

German and Joana came to get Beth and me a little after 4am. Alberto was putting the cat’s home in his little casita, so he wasn’t at the gate when German pulled up. I opened the gate and made sure to tell German that Alberto was up and about, but busy. I didn’t want him to get mad at Alberto, thinking that he was sleeping in. ☺

We headed off toward the airport in Managua. On the way, we stopped in Las Paz Centro to drop off Beth at the Speigel’s house, so she could spend time with them and have breakfast. Then John was going to take her to the airport later, since she had a later flight than me. We got to the Speigel’s house earlier than planned, but that gave them more time to visit, even if it was before 5am.

I relaxed on the rest of the way to the airport and German and Joana were chatting in the front seat. They seemed like they were on a date, so I let them chat without interruption. We made it to the airport early, about 5:40am. I gave them a big hug and promised to spend more time with their family when I’m back.

I went in to line up at the ticket counter. I was the fourth in line behind some couples. The counter wasn’t open until 6am, so I played around with my phone and filled out some immigration forms to pass the time. Check in was fine and I glanced at the shops as I was walking to immigration. I usually like to look around in the shops, but passed this time. I got through immigration fine and then through security (where I got wanded because I beeped for some reason) and upstairs to the gates. There is a restaurant at the far end of the terminal and I had some scrambled eggs and pancakes and orange juice. Not bad. Then I walked around a bit waiting for boarding time. I did stop at a little shop upstairs and bought a map of Nica that I have seen in the past and wanted.

The flight from Managua to Houston was only about ¼ full. I usually take the 7:15 flight it’s usually full. This flight was comfy. I got to move to a row of 3 empty seats and stretch out. I dozed off and on for the 3 ½ hour flight. I did eat the ‘breakfast’ which appeared like magic when I was snoozing. ☺ I read and just relaxed.

We got into Houston by 11:30am. I went through Immigration like a breeze. There was hardly anyone there. I got my luggage, stopped at the customs spot and took it to the next drop off place. Then it was off to the security check again. It went fast, as there weren’t that many people traveling on Tuesday. I did have to go through the xray machine thingy and my backpack had to go through the xray twice. They finally decided that I wasn’t a threat, and I was on my way. Now for the 8 hour layover at the Houston airport.

I walked around a bit and then had a nice lunch at Chili’s Too. I ordered a small salad and some appetizers for my entre. One of the things on the appetizer plate was not available, so I got some baked potato soup instead. What a nice little lunch! I then walked around more and sat in some of my favorite seats and read and worked on lists and receipts and stuff. I actually dozed off sitting there, even with hundreds of people walking by, carts driving by and announcements from the speakers. It was a nice little nap of about 20 minutes and it did me good.

I walked through some shops and found some very interesting and humorous things. I amazes me what people will buy with their money. I found a nice little store that was having some great discounts for after Christmas. The salesperson was very friendly and a Christian. I ended up purchasing a few things from her. I love bargains!

I checked out the new Kindle Fire at one of the bookstores. I’m thinking of getting one with Christmas money. It was nice to test it out. I’m pretty sure that I’m going to upgrade soon.

I had a giant smoothie for a snack and walked around more and sat more. I made some phone calls and just tried to have a tranquil time.

Before boarding time at 6:40pm, I stopped at Schlotzky’s for my usual sandwich that I like to get at that airport. I packed it well in my carryon and went to wait on my flight.

Before they boarded our plane, they asked for volunteers to give up their seats and take a flight for tomorrow. I thought about it, but since I had a pick up scheduled with someone, I decided not to. Then they asked again later and offered even more for compensation. I called my ride and asked if it was a problem to switch. Cathy said it didn’t matter to her, but by the time this conversation happened, I saw many people lined up for the deal. It was a hard decision between getting a nice voucher for a future flight plus hotel and meals free, or get home to Deanna’s and not mess up other people’s plans. As it turned out, the people getting the ‘deal’ ended up on the plane anyway and we had a few empty seats. Evidently, some of the travelers who made the flight overbooked, were stuck somewhere and didn’t make the flight anyway. But the incident made me decide to figure that option into my plans in the future. The same thing had happened from NWA to Houston on my way down to Nica. I’ll be prepared to act promptly next time. Those vouchers would come in handy!!!

The flight to Rogers was uneventful. I ate my sandwich and read my Kindle. When we landed, we were just a few minutes early. While waiting on my luggage I noticed that people had gotten their bags quickly and left. There were 2 other people with me waiting for ours. It didn’t seem to be coming. Then I heard our names announced to come to the ticket counter. It turns out that our luggage got on an earlier flight out of Houston and had beat us to NWA. I grabbed my bag and headed out the door to find Cathy waiting for me at the curb.

It was good to see Cathy and get a hug. I enjoy her company very much and don’t get to spend much time with her, but we’re going to try to get together often while I’m here in Rogers. She is coming down to Nica over Spring Break with FBCR and also planning a Women’s Ministry trip in the fall. It will be fun to work with her on that.

I got to Deanna’s about 10 and was greeted by Deanna and Jet (the dog) and Heidi (Deanna’s grand-dog from Las Vegas). We sat and chatted for awhile and I settled into my room. It was nice to be back in my room, especially since it was all clean and organized from when I left it. I hope not to make a mess of it while I’m here! Actually, many of the tubs of things are going to Nica with the Spring Break team, so the room will be even more organized when I leave in Feb.

I slept very well and snuggled under a quilt. I haven’t slept under sheets or covers for most of the last 3 months. It felt different, but cozy to sleep all warm.

All in all, it’s been a nice day of travel. It’s good to be in my ‘other’ home. I’m very much at peace. And very thankful for the life that God is allowing me to live. So blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment