Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday, December 4, 2011 NICARAGUA

What an interesting day. I kept waking up all night and couldn’t go back to sleep. I was reading most of the night trying to get sleepy. I have felt tired all day. But that’s okay.

This morning I talked with my sister Sandy on the phone to confirm that my flight options for Feb are fine with her. My niece is getting married on Feb 11, so I’ll spend Feb 1-13 in Indiana. I bought my tickets on line this morning. Then I looked up something to buy on Walmart.com and ship to the store in Paragould for the team coming on Dec 16 to bring down. Isn’t technology wonderful? (when it’s working)

I copied a cd of kids’ Bible songs in Spanish for the church in Telica. I also took one of the Proclaimers (recorded New Testament in Spanish) for the church to set up listening groups and use it.

Joceline was not feeling very well last night, but was much better this morning. She and Oscar left for church right before German stopped by to pick up Mary and I. We headed over to pick up the Hulsey’s and then went to the church in Telica. It was nice to be there again. I’m so excited to get to start a Women’s Bible study there when I get back in mid-February. The kids were funny this morning. The Pastor lady asked Mike if he would like to preach, so he did. The Bible says to always be ready to share about Jesus and he did.

After church, we went back to the Hulsey’s for dinner, but the electricity had went out and the food in the crockpot was not done. So we jumped in the van and headed to a restaurant that German and Jorge recommended. It’s a little place on the side of the road what serves Cuban cuisine. The owner didn’t speak any English and we held our own with my limited Spanish. We ended up having whatever he suggested, which was like a quesadilla made out of a different kind of tortilla with pork, beans, cheese and I don’t know what all else. It was okay, but I don’t think anyone else liked it. The place was decorated kind of neat. You would never know what it was like by just driving down the road and seeing the little sign on the ground. Kind of fun.

We got back to the Mission House and I was waiting for German’s family to come and pick me up to go to Managua to get Megan. I got on the computer for a while and was all ready and waiting for my pick up. Then Mike re-read the email from Megan and realized that she isn’t coming in until TOMORROW night. He called German to let him know. I’m glad we weren’t already on our way. I was really looking forward to spending some time with German’s family this evening, but I was pretty tired already. It will be better to go tomorrow night.

I had posted on facebook that we were picking up Megan tonight and she commented that her flight is tomorrow night. I told her we aren’t really this disorganized. Well… maybe so, but we’re fun!

My discussion with Juver, our substitute guard, was hilarious. I had originally told him that I would be arriving back about midnight-1am with Megan and that he would need to be ready to open the gate for us. He was going to set his alarm. I would call when we were in León. Then with the change of day, I was trying to tell him that we weren’t coming back tonight. We would come back tomorrow. He said, yes, at 1am. I said no, Tuesday at 1am because we were going to the airport tomorrow night. I was saying that the flight (el vuelo) was coming tomorrow night. He thought I said abuelo (grandfather) and thought that I was talking about Alberto. So Juver was explaining that his UNCLE Alberto (who is our regular guard who Juver is filling in for) was coming back Thursday night, not tomorrow night. I know you had to be there to appreciate it, but it was very funny. We finally got it all straightened out and laughed. As I was walking away, he called me back and in all earnestness told me that my Spanish was really improving. LOL It was like those ‘whose on first’ gags. The last time my Spanish got me in this much trouble was when I was trying to say excuse me (disculpeme) and said escupame (spit on me). I always say that if I can’t communicate in Spanish, at least I can be entertaining. ☺

I ended up spending some time doing my Bible study and getting on here. It was a good time to swim a little bit, but I just didn’t have the energy. I had some cold pasta for dinner and changed into my sleep shorts and tank top. I’m ready to relax for the rest of the evening.

I have so much that I need to get done that I feel guilty for resting. But I’m just not willing to focus too much this evening. Tomorrow starts a full and busy week, so I’ll take today for my rest.

I’m going to kick back now and hope to be asleep by 9pm. My biggest wish is to sleep all night long, at least until 5am.

Man, December is sliding by so quickly! I will miss being here so much for the 7 weeks or so that I’m in the states, but it will be fun to be there and talk with people, see my niece get married and then hurry back here. I really have a wonderful life. I’m so thankful to God for His blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment