Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday, December 2, 2011 NICARAGUA

I keep thinking it’s still November until I see the date when I type my blog post. Every day is hot and sunny here, so it’s not much indication of the time of year. Now, the changes in downtown is a different story. Tons of vendors setting up booths to sell things to be given out on the Day of Mary next week. Lots of Christmas decorations and gifts to be sold. It’s the ‘13th Month’, meaning that everyone gets an extra month’s pay for the year. And everyone is busy spending it. The streets are getting more crowded due to the booths. Traffic flow is not the best anyway, with the narrow streets. Tall Ladies are everywhere and you can hear the drums for blocks around signifying that there is a performance around. I hope to capture it on video this year.

This morning (my one morning a week without Spanish class) is still woke up at 5:30am, and Buster wasn’t even here to bark early. I got up and did some computer work, Bible study and got ready for a little trek to downtown to buy some material for more Bible bags. Mary and I left the house about 8:40am via a taxi. He could get us as close as about 1 block away. We looked around the park and sat on a park bench while waiting for Leslie to meet us.

We went to a couple of fabric stores and I spent another $40 on fabric to make 40 more bags. I’m thankful that has allowed me the resources to provide these for the ladies. I’ve made about 30 so far and have another 40 to go. But the ladies love them and it’s a blessing to me to this for them. We stopped at a plastic store and got a few more little storage items. Then we headed out to find a little store that German told Mary about so she could buy some movies in English. We couldn’t find the store, but it was a nice morning for a walk.

Houses are built right out to the street and if the windows and doors are open, you can look in as you walk by. One house had some Christmas decorations up and Mary stopped to admire them. The people looked at her a little strange. Leslie said they would think she is trying to see what they had so she could rob them. I called her a peeping Tom. She said they shouldn’t open their windows and doors. I guess they should just keep shut up in a hot house. Ha I walked past the House of the Bible and waved to Linda who works there. It’s nice to have friends to greet.

I handed over my packages to Leslie and Mary, who were going to take a taxi back to the house, and I walked back to the house. I stopped by Bazar Jerry and bought a couple pieces of ribbon. I got home about 11am. It was hot, but a nice walk. The heat does wipe me out, though.

We had steak (Nica steak gives your jaws a workout), rice, beans, steamed veggies and tortillas for lunch. It was good. After lunch, everyone got busy doing their own stuff and I started cutting out the pieces of fabric for the bags. I got everything cut out, so now I just need to grab some pieces everytime I get the chance and start getting the bags done.

About 3pm I stopped to take a shower and dress for the Women’s Bible study at ROSCC church. We were down in number there today, too. This time of year is not conducive for good attendance. But we had a good class. I introduced the study on Mary and our Mary taught about how to share your testimony.

We got back home and I boiled a big pan of pasta to eat on for the weekend. I talked with Juver while the food was cooking. He is filling in for Alberto while he is on vacation. I came to my room and started working on the computer since I have the usb connector tonight. I watched a copy of the video that Oscar shot from the Bible study at Las Quimeras and ROSCC churches, the Feeding at ROSCC and this week’s Sewing class. It was funny. I hope that JP can pull some snippets off to put on my new website when we work on it in January.

Speaking of websites… Voice of Hope has a new look to the website that will be put into place very soon. It’s awesome! There’s a guy here who is working on it for us. It will have a version in English and one in Spanish. You can click between the two. There are lots of pictures. I love it! Can’t wait till it’s finished and everyone can see it.

Mike called to let me know that Joceline was on her way home from babysitting at their house and for us to open the gate for her. At the same time, German was beeping at the big gate to get in so his father-in-law could pick up German’s motorcycle. Lots going on at once. It was funny.

I think I’m going to the airport with German’s family to pick up Megan (from FBCR) on Sunday evening. It will be grand to spend some time with German’s family. I look forward to greeting Megan and I hope she likes living here with us this month as she serves with the ministry to finish up her Masters’ degree. I can’t wait to get my new Spanish books from her, too! Ha

Well, guess I’ll get off of here. I’ve enjoyed today very much. If I wake up early like I plan, I want to go for a long walk in the morning. We’ll see. After that, it’s sewing time baby!!! Life is grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment