Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday, December 23, 2011 NICARAGUA

I’m spending a very appreciated quiet evening in my room having some ME time. The team left this morning in 2 shifts. The first at 4am (we got up at 3am) and then the other at 9:30am (I napped from 4-7am). They were all anxious to get home, but they had a great week.

I started doing laundry before the cleaning ladies got here to start the mountains of dirty towels and sheets and donated clothing. (30+ people generates a lot of stuff) Our washer takes FOREVER to fill up and Saturnino was helping it out with the garden hose. LOL The ladies got all the rooms cleaned while Leslie and I helped with the common areas.

Leslie, Beth and I ran downtown to pick up a few things this morning. We figured it was better to do it this morning than to wait until tomorrow (Christmas Eve) which will be crazy. Nicas celebrate on Christmas Eve and rest on Christmas Day. We rode one of the little ‘buses’. It’s actually a small pickup truck with metals bars and covered with a tarp. They drive crazy and you have to really hold on. Going to town wasn’t too bad, but trying to hang on with your arms full of purchaces while standing was a little dangerous. I think my gray hair made people be more accommodating to me than normal. Someone even offered me their seat. But I think that was because I was flying around with bags on my wrists and a hammock and they were afraid that I would hit them up side the head or something. Anyway, I was glad for the seat! I still had to hold on tight, though. It only costs 3 cords, so it’s way cheaper than a taxi. Sometimes you are smashed in there, but it’s fun.

One interesting thing we saw on the way home in the little bus was a horse laid out across the road. It didn’t look like it had been hit by a vehicle, but it was barely breathing. I think it just went down from exhaustion and heat and malnutrition. It’s very sad.

We got back to the house and had lunch. Steak, mashed potatoes and corn. Yum. Beth took a nap while Leslie and I chatted and rested a little bit. Then it was time for the Women’s Bible study at ROSCC church. Jorge took us in his taxi. I took the Bible bags filled with notebooks and pens that I had been sewing for the last 2 weeks. The ladies loved them. We also showed them what the Bibles that they will be receiving look like. They are excited. We finished up the Mary study and had prayer together. I will miss them all so much and I’m SO anxious to get back here in Feb to start the study again.

I had some left overs for dinner and did another load of laundry. Beth went out on the town with Pacheco, Chico and Oscar. I was invited, but decided to stay at the house and have some Vickie time. I get to see the guys all the time and Beth is only here a few weeks a year, so I thought she might like to visit them by herself.

I started packing my suitcase for my visit to the states next week. I’m taking mostly souvenirs and items to sell for the ministry. I’m not taking any clothing back. And my toiletries all stay here. It will be light packing for the trip north. (it’s always heavy packing for the trip here). I also listened to Spanish Christmas music while painting my toes and downloading pics. I think I’ll head to bed early, though, since I was up early. Bed sounds pretty good.

I’m thankful for the team that came down this week. It has been a busy week and everyone was very tired, but happy. A lot of people heard the Gospel this week and 992 people accepted Christ. An awesome week.

I’m so thankful to be here and serving with VOH and learning Spanish. It feels perfectly normal to walk the streets, see the sights, interact with the people. I just love it. God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment