Friday, December 30, 2011

Friday, December 30, 2011

I've been back in the states for a few days now. It feels great to be 'visiting'. I truly feel grounded in Nica as my home and visiting my friends and family in the states.

I've slept well in my room at Deanna's. I've cleaned out and organized my rooms a little every time I leave for Nica. The tubs of stuff stacked in the room now will all end up in Nica by the end of March. Slowly I'm getting my material things in this world in order. I won't feel so strung out everywhere one of these days.

I've been to Walmart 4 times in the last 3 days. A few things each time, but all needed. I enjoy walking around looking at stuff. I don't want to own it, but it's fun to look at pretty things. I'm glad that I wasn't around for all the crazy hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping. It's nice to shop when other people are tired of it (or probably out of money).

Wednesday, Kellie took me to lunch and then dropped me off at the Olive Street church to pick up some packages that were delivered there while I was gone. I hung out a little bit and talked with Glenda and Teresa. I got the chance to chat a little with Jerry for a few minutes. My friend Cathy dropped in and offered me a ride home. I borrowed Deanna's van to run to Walmart to get some groceries. Then I spent the rest of the evening at home.

Thursday, I borrowed my friend Donna's car for the day and got my haircut first thing and then went to the post office to pick up 3 months of mail. Of course, I don't get much mail besides junk stuff, but I was expecting a bunch of the junk. Happily, I only had a handful of mail and just a little bit was junk. I went to the desk to ask when my box rental was due, because I couldn't remember if I had paid for 3 months or 6 months when I rented it. I found out that 6 months is the minimum, so I'm in good shape for now. I came home and visited with Deanna and Elaine for a little while and then went to Walmart to look around and pick up a few more items before I turned the car keys over to Donna when she finished working at the Vision Center. Donna brought me home and I settled in watching some tv with Deanna. I thought it was 10pm and I was very tired so I said I was going to bed. When I said that I was glad that it was 10, Deanna informed me that it was only 8. I couldn't believe it. I finally made it to bed at 9pm and read for a little while. Then I slept pretty well, but still woke up very early.

This morning I grabbed a ride from Teresa to go to the Olive Street church to fill out some papers to continue my group health insurance for the next 12 months. I won't be considered on staff at the church after 12/31, so I needed to find health insurance. I was thrilled to be able to continue the coverage that I have at a descent rate. Even though the US insurance doesn't work in Nica, it's good to have the coverage for the future and in case anything happens that I need to come back to the states for treatment. The best thing is that the premium is only $50 more than the increase of the support from FBCR. I was afraid the cost would be twice what it actually will be. So my support needs will be going up for 2012, but not as much as I thought. For that I'm grateful.

After doing my business at the church, I walked over to Nana Ruth's apartment. We went to the bank and to Walmart and then to lunch at Olive Garden. Then we stopped off at Lifeway Christian store for some great bargains and to the other Walmart to look for something for Deanna. I think I now have enough food to last for the next week or so. I needed to restock after being gone.

When I got home, Elaine and the kids were here with Deanna and everyone was sad because they had just put their dog Heidi to sleep. Jake had taken Heidi to be 'put to rest'. We sat around for a while until Jake came back. JD went to spend time with a friend and then Cora went to spend the night with a friend. It's just Deanna and I here tonight and we're not too wild or crazy.

I've enjoyed the 'normal' highspeed internet here in the states. I've had lots of stuff to research and take care of. I need to get serious next week on getting some loose ends tied up. I know this month will go by fast.

Noemi offered to take me to the Spanish church tomorrow night for the special dinner and games and then New Year's Worship service. I'll need a nap tomorrow afternoon, but I will surely enjoy the evening. I can't wait to see all my friends from Cuerpo Vivo church.

I'm enjoying this weekend of reflection on the past year and the promise of the new year. I feel so peaceful with God's plan for me, even though I don't know the details. But I feel a stronger commitment to whatever He asks of me. It's going to be a big year, whatever He has planned!

I guess I should head to bed for now. A little quiet time with my Kindle sounds pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment