Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13, 2012

Exciting day!!! My sister Sandy and I left Indiana for a week in NYC!!!

Terry (bro-in-law) and Colten (great-nephew) drove us to the Louisville airport. I love flying in and out of that airport because it is relatively small and easy to get to and easy to get around in. The prices are usually cheaper or at least the same as the tickets from Indianapolis. My family live about halfway between Indy and Louisville, so it works out well to use the Louisville airport.

Anyway, Colten has been to the airport a couple of times to either pick me up or drop me off. He was fine with the trip. That is until he realized that his Mamaw was getting out of the car, too. After letting us out, Terry drove away with Colten crying, but I’m sure that all was well soon enough. Colten loves seeing the airplanes, school buses, semi trucks and tractors. He had lots to keep him busy while riding down the highway.

Our flight was pretty good. Sandy doesn’t fly much, so she was a little nervous. I hadn’t flown in to or out of JFK airport before, but we didn’t have any major trouble getting our luggage and out of the airport. We were in the taxi line, but someone told us about a car that we could get in pretty quick and the taxi line was long and slow. So we rode in a car with a guy from Australia. It was interesting listening to the accent. It took us 2.5 hours to get the 19 miles to our hotel, due to traffic. But we had fun looking out the windows and putting ourselves in ‘relaxing vacation’ mode.

We got checked in to our hotel, which is really nice. We sprung for the deluxe double room which comes with a kitchenette, desk, dresser, free wi-fi and other amenities. There is a large screen tv, so we plan to have some relaxing times laying in our beds with the tv on and reading or being on the internet and just chilling.

After checking in, we walked down to John’s Pizza and enjoyed a yummy veggie pizza dinner. Then we walked down to Time’s Square and stopped in the Skechers store to look around. Pretty stuff! We strolled back toward the hotel and stopped at a little store for juice for breakfast in the morning.

I’m so thankful that God made it possible for me to be here this week. Frequent flyer miles and some savings and special blessings have made it possible for me to travel here. Sandy was really needing a vacation away from all that has happened this past year. She was in vacation mode as soon as we arrived at the airport in Louisville!

It’s been over 3 years since I left here after living and serving here for 2 years. I have very fond memories and I was hoping that I would still feel the same way when walking down the streets. I feel very happy and content to be here.

We will see some sites that we have picked out, enjoy different types of food, do a little shopping (mostly Sandy), visit some friends of mine who live here, and enjoy just hanging out and not being on any particular schedule. What fun!

My mind is on some friends who are going through some tough times in Nica. I wish I could be there with them, but I’m praying for them and I’m thankful that there is internet to keep in touch. And I’m thankful that God is keeping us connected and He is holding them in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment