Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday, Sept 17, 2012

My back was killing me when we got up this morning. I felt like it was going to snap in two. I was in a lot of pain and took some Aleve and wore the dumb IcyHot patch, but I was determined that we wouldn’t waste a day in the city.

We had breakfast in the room. I had my oatmeal and Sandy had her bagel that she’s been enjoying in the mornings. Then we jumped on a bus and headed for Central Park.

As soon as we got to the corner of the Park, a pedi-cab driver asked if we wanted a tour. We were planning on a horse and carriage ride (if they weren’t too expensive) since I couldn’t walk much. The guy, named Abraham, was very friendly and we decided it was a better deal to go with him. It was a nice day and a nice tour. I didn’t tell him that I used to live in NYC, so that he would give us the full tourist treatment and we learned a lot from him. He was funny and informative and seemed to really enjoy his job. Even though he does this thing all the time, he never made us feel like it was routine. We enjoyed it very much. Sitting in the pedi-cab was relaxing for my back and I appreciated that respite. Abraham said he likes his name because for Christians it means Father of all and as a Muslim (which he professes) is means God’s best friend. At least that was his story and he was a happy guy. He was a breath of fresh air.

After the tour, we went across Columbus Circle to Whole Foods, where I used to buy most of my groceries, and had lunch from their hot bar. I love Whole Foods. They have so many great organic and fresh foods. It was a great place for my liver-friendly diet when I was living there. I had some roast chicken, roasted potatoes and green beans. Sandy had the roast chicken, mac & cheese and mashed potatoes. Everything was tasty. Sandy thought the check-out procedure with the numbers and announcements was a little weird, and it was crowded as always, so I think she was glad that her shopping experience back home is different.

After lunch, we headed across the bottom of the Park and shopped at FAO Schwartz. We saw lots of cute things, but only bought a little stuffed bear for Sandy’s coming grandson.

We then walked down Fifth Ave and stopped in at Tiffany’s, which was interesting. Sandy was disappointed that they didn’t have the price tags showing. Haha

We visited St Patrick’s Cathedral. I’ve been in there a few times, but this was the first time that mass wasn’t going on. We got to walk along one side and across the back and return up the other side. It was beautiful with little stations honoring different Saints and with candles everywhere. We sat down for a little bit for my back, but there was so much beautiful stained glass everywhere, that it was nice to take it all in.


Next we crossed the street and went into Rockefeller Center. Sandy had been there back during her first and very cold visit. The skating rink was happening at that time. This time of year, that area is full of umbrella tables for outdoor dining. We found our way to the entrance for the Top of the Rock Observation Deck. Our New York Pass allowed us to skip ahead and get our tickets to go up. We enjoyed it very much. More than the Empire State Building, actually. Since it’s just 60 or so floors up, we felt more like we were amongst the skyscrapers and we could look out and see the Empire State Building above us. It was a nice view and I took some pics with my phone. Sandy was enjoying trying to figure out where all we had been.

We then walked back down Fifth Ave to the American Doll Store. Sandy was going to look for some things for our Aunt Susie to give to her grand-daughter. That store cracks me up every time I go in there. I think it’s neat for little (and big) girls to have a place to get a doll and accessories, and to bring their dolls in for ‘treatments’. There is a hospital department, where your doll rides in a little wheelchair to get a cast, band-aid, sling, etc (for a cost, of course). Also, there is a hair salon, where the doll sits in a beauty shop chair and gets her hair done (another fee, of course). That was so cute and funny to watch. There’s another department where you can get a little t shirt (3 colors, choice of long or short sleeves) for your doll and a matching t shirt for yourself. You pick out appliqués for the shirts so that you can match your doll. The doll’s t shirt costs $10 and the girl’s t shirt costs $24. They were cute, though.

We then went back to the hotel for a little rest. It was nice to lay down a little bit and Sandy loves being in the room with the HGTV and her wi-fi access to her Kindle. We had a nice afternoon.

Later, we walked down to Times Square and had dinner at Chevy’s. It’s a favorite of mine for their grilled fish tacos. They have lots of good Tex-Mex food and Sandy enjoyed some loaded up nachos. We then walked up to Junior’s restaurant and got some cheesecake to go. I chose the chocolate mousse cheesecake and Sandy got the red velvet cheesecake. It’s like having 2 desserts in one with the multiple flavors piled on top of each other and the portions are large. We ended up eating them in multiple settings, and that was twice as nice!

We got back to our room before dark, as usual, and settled in and relaxed. My back was feeling better and I was looking forward to the next day. It wasn’t a really fast-paced day, but it was fun and enjoyable. I felt very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment