Sunday, September 2, 2012

August 14 - 19, 2012

The beginning of the errands marathon in the states…

My friend Nichole picked me up early on Tuesday for a trip to my doctor’s office. I needed my yearly labs and check-up so I could renew my prescriptions. I love getting to talk with Bob, my doctor and friend. He’s also coming to Nica on a medical trip in Jan and we chatted a little about that, too. Nichole and I enjoyed some breakfast at Lucy’s Diner. Then we stopped at Walmart for me to stock up on some stuff. It was a good morning!

Wednesday was a fun day of shopping with Kesha and her son Colin. We hit Walmart again, walked through the new Fresh Market grocery store and then had lunch at Olive Garden. It was very tasty! Then we stopped by their house for me to see the improvements they have made over the last few years. I had lived in their house while they were in Hungary as missionaries and before I moved to NYC. I have very fond memories of living there and I’m excited to see how great and welcoming the house looks with their touches back in place.

Thursday was my annual hearing test and checkup with Dr Black. My hearing loss is still the same and probably won’t change. There is nothing they can do about it. I will just have to learn to live with it. I’m getting better at adapting. It still makes learning a new language a challenge, but I can do all things through Christ!! Cathy took me to the doctor’s appointment and then we had lunch at MiMi’s Café and discussed the women’s mission trip in Oct. We used a gift certificate that she had won at our church’s Women’s Retreat. So we could have anything we wanted. We had appetizers, entrees and dessert! What a treat!

Thursday night was the annual appreciation dinner for the volunteers of River of Life Medical Center, which I had helped to start many years ago. I love getting to see everyone and I’m very proud of the work the clinic does to bless people every month. The dinner was held at Monte Ne Inn chicken restaurant. I can’t eat fried food, so passing the chicken around was torture, but I could eat the rest of the homemade food (bean soup, slaw, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, bread). I even passed on the dessert, not so much because I was being responsible, but more because I was stuffed (and my doctor was there – Ha). It was a great night of seeing old friends and meeting new people.

Friday I was feeling kind of sick with either a cold thing or allergies. Vickie and Michael Brown offered me the use of their car and brought it to me in the afternoon. Since they are pharmacists, they made sure that I got some allergy meds that I can take with my other meds. It was great to start feeling better and to have wheels for the weekend!

Saturday morning I started running errands with my borrowed wheels. I went to AT&T to update my phone. I got a great deal on everything that I needed. The sales rep was very helpful and took very good care of me. We chatted a little about me being a missionary in Nica. He has just moved to NWA in the spring and hasn’t found a church yet, so I told him about FBCR. I treated myself to lunch at Marias restaurant and then a much needed pedicure. I felt guilty about the pedi, though. I made a few more stops and then headed home to rest and fight my allergy/cold thing with a nap.

Sunday I watched FBCR on tv while getting ready for service at Iglesia Cuerpo Vivo. I loved getting to see my friends at the Spanish church. I couldn’t believe how much the kids have grown in the 6 months that I’ve been gone. I had lunch at the home of my friend Elizabeth. She doesn’t speak English, so my Spanish gets a workout. She is such a sweetie. We had tamales and she sent some home with me. Yum!

It’s been a good first week visiting the states. I’ve not felt stressed. I’ve run into friends and really enjoyed myself. I’m also getting a lot done to prepare for my return trip to Nica. God is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment