Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June 25-30, 2012

Monday, June 25, 2012

The team went out to do multiple Fiestas in the morning and a conference.

Lesly and I went to the market at the bus terminal to buy the weekly veggies for the feeding centers. Mayela travels by bus from Chinendega, so we called her and had her find us in the market instead of taking the little bus to the mission house. We also stopped at the grocery store, 2 bookstores and got ice and water for the mission house.

My money come in from the states, so I could finally go and buy the things that were on my ever-growing list.

After working on computer, including downloading pics to facebook, Mayela and I went to town to get some things taken care of. Mayela got a new phone and then we went to 2 stores to buy plastic chairs and a plastic table for me to use as an outdoor office just outside my room. I dropped Mayela off at the bus terminal and headed back home.

The team had decided not to go to the beach and Suyapa restaurant, so we had some yummy Mexican casserole (Sherry’s recipie) for dinner and everyone enjoyed the pool and relaxed.



Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The team went out for Fiestas and conference.

I worked on emails and also put together a document for the Women’s Mission trip in October. I had been working on sketches for some banners for a couple of churches. I showed them to Mike and he picked 4 he likes. Now I can go forward with that project. (where will I find the time??)

We did more work on picture books (every team that comes down gets one to take back to their home church). Lesly and I did some shopping for the ministry in the afternoon, and I got some items for the sewing class.

I spent more time on the computer at the mission house, doing emails and messages. 5 people had to stay back from the crusade because they were sick, so I visited with them a little bit. When it starts getting dusk, the mosquitoes come out, so I retire to my room about 6pm. I like to have things to do in there (study, computer, Bible study, sewing, etc), so I was happy to have a dress of Sherry’s to alter. I enjoyed a video and sewed until bedtime. Good day!


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The team went out as usual and got busy on the computer. I sent about 20 emails with the Women’s trip document attached. I’m excited to see who all God is planning on bringing here to Nica to minister during this special week!

I drove Lesly for shopping for groceries for Lydia and meds for me.
Then I prepared for Women’s Bible Study. The ladies love having handouts to work from. And I love their interaction.

We had a wonderful Bible study! Estefanie said it was her favorite one so far. The ladies really got into it and we have wonderful discussions. I’m always so blessed on Bible Study days!

I took Estefanie home and returned to the team house to eat my yummy dinner of Monterrey Chicken sandwich that I got at On the Run on the way home. There were 2 people who stayed back form the crusade, so I checked on them. It was a quiet night and I enjoyed working more on the sketches for the banners.



Thursday, June 28, 2012

The team went out for their last day of Fiestas and conferences. They have been making visits to the feeding centers and went to a school. It’s been a good week for them.

I worked on the computer some more while the team was out. I have better internet access when everyone is gone with their smartphones and I get a lot more concentration time, too.

Mayela and I visited the San Jacinto and La Quimera feeding centers in the late morning.

I taught sewing class in the afternoon. We made hair scrunchies and headbands with little petals. They were cute, but we didn’t have our measurements down quite right. The ladies said the little ones might work for kids, but one woman said if she put it on her baby’s head, it would kill the baby. Needless to way, these women have a warped sense of humor just like me!

One person stayed back from the crusade as sick, but we had a great chat. More computer work in my room completed my day.




Friday, June 29, 2012

The Crosslife team left early morning for the airport. Their week culminated in 1682 salvations from all of the Fiestas, school visits, conferences and 3 nights of crusade services.

After working on the team house to help get it ready to turn over for the next team coming, the Interns got ready and I took them and Mary to lunch at Al Carbon. It was delicious, but it did take really long to get our food. We got good and full and started walking back to the van, which was parked a few blocks away. It started raining really hard and we got drenched. It was funny. Right when we all got back into the van, the rain went from a downpour to nothing all at once.

We returned to the team house and relaxed. I took Lesly to do some errands and took her and Jorge home. Then I went back to the mission house and worked on the computer for a while.

The Interns cooked dinner (mac n cheese with velveeta) and cookies. Charlie treated us to Tip Top Chicken delivery. I talked to the restaurant guy on the phone and we had a good time with my Spanish and his English. I love conversations like that. We ended our interchange by complimenting each other on our language skills (no matter they were rough). We all ate way too much. Who can resist cookies hot out of the oven???

The Interns had a last night of devotions and prayer together. They will be missed very much! It has been a pleasure to serve with them this month!



Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Interns left at 3am and 8am for Managua for their flights. It was bittersweet seeing them go.

I started getting some laundry caught up before the workers started on the towels and sheets again. It’s always good to get laundry done. We carry our clothes out to the washer and dryer, which are outside of another building. Every time I do that, I think of how spoiled we are in the US to have a laundry room so convenient to us. And I think of how spoiled we are at the team house to have a washer and dryer at all. Most people here wash by hand. I’m thankful I don’t have to do all of my laundry that way!

Manuel was here for part of the morning, but left with Mike when he was getting a little hard to handle. I miss the days when Manuel could hang out with me and Mary for hours and we would have so much fun together. Maybe some day they will get his medicines worked out and we will have our old Manuel back.

Mayela came to work for the day directing the workers to get the house ready for the team. She was walking around with a clipboard so that she wouldn’t forget anything that Sherry told her to do. Mary thought the clipboard was funny, and followed Mayela around a little bit. I told Mayela not to take it personally. She and I actually work a lot a like, making lists and checking them off. I think that’s why we work together so well. Mayela left at 3pm and Mary and I rested in our rooms until the team got here about 4pm.

We had a brief team meeting and had dinner. We chatted awhile and the team broke up into groups to practice their songs for the week. It was such a sweet spirit here at the team house. I loved it!

I got the chance to sit with Charlie and chat a while. We’ve been so busy with our different responsibilities with the ministry that we haven’t had any good talks. It was very nice.

I went to bed listening to the team singing and talking and laughing. It was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment