Saturday, December 1, 2012

November 28, 2012

I got an email from Mike overnight saying that we have sold the KIA Sportage. This is the vehicle that I feel comfortable driving. It’s a good thing to sell it and I don’t mind not having a vehicle to drive. It has its pros and cons down here. I expect to walk and take taxis or camionetas to get around, so I’m good. Edmundo was washing the KIA so it would be ready for its new owner. I gave him the key that I had. I didn’t really want to walk to English class, so I asked Edmundo into driving me in one of the vans. I usually don’t ask that, but it was a treat for me!

English class was fun. We had a visitor from the states and the students got to talk to her for a while. I got the chance to talk to Juan a little bit and that was nice, too. I grabbed a taxi back to the team house after class.

We were having an appreciation dinner for the workers and I was excited to see everyone and have time to chat a little bit. We had an awesome meal: chicken cordon blue (I don’t think I spelled that correctly), rice, salad, French fries and ice cream. Yummy! Erika saved me a few pieces of chicken for my fridge. She takes good care of me. We served our guests and everyone had a good time.

While waiting for the food to be served, we had everyone play a game. It’s like musical chairs in the that the point is to eliminate players until only one is left. Music is playing, everyone is in a circle, a broom is passed to each player. When it is their turn, they have to take the broom and spin around once and then pass the broom along to the next person. When the music stops, whoever has possession of the broom is ‘out’. Everyone else starts again and you keep going until there is a winner. It was funny to watch!

Lesly spoke to the group on behalf of VOH, since the Husleys are in the states and German had a meeting in Managua. Pastor Bryan spoke and then prayed. I said just a few personal words about how much I’m blessed by knowing them. They take good care of me! I gave each person a little stocking with their name written on it. It wasn’t much of a gift, but I couldn’t afford much this year. I noticed many of them put their cell phones in their stocking. It was the perfect size! I was glad that they liked them!

A few of the gang brought some swimming clothes and enjoyed the pool after lunch. Then they got a little mischievous and threw Pastor Bryan into the pool in his suit. It was so funny! Then caught Edmundo and did the same. They had to run and hunt for Saturnino, but they got him and threw him in. When they went for Jorge, he just took off his shoes and jumped in himself. It was very funny. Pastor Eddy decided to sneek out before he could be caught. Saturnino actually jumped back in later and swam around. He can swim very well. It’s unusual for Nica people to swim around here since the ocean is so dangerous and few people have pools. I wish our workers felt more welcome to enjoy the pool, but they seem to feel that they need to ‘stay in their place’. They are very humble. I am so happy to know them and get to spend time with them, even if it’s just a little bit.

We got some new VOH shirts and the workers all love them. They are royal blue and we teased one table full of workers who were all wearing their shirts that they were the smurf family.

After everyone left, I did some computer work on the Feeding Center files and got on facebook for a while. I got the chance to chat with my ‘son’ Joe. He is one of the original 5 Nica ‘kids’ that I have here. We set up time to visit on Friday morning. It will be good to see him and get a great big hug!

I hemmed some shorts for Lelsy, read some in my ‘Not a Fan’ book, practiced guitar and just took it easy for the night. I also got the chance to chat via text with Mike. I told him how good the lunch went.

It’s been a great day! God is such a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment