Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wednesday & Thursday 3/16-17 in Nicaragua

Wednesday: Woke up to the sound of the ocean and the birds singing (squawking) in the trees. So wonderful. It starts getting warm early and the fans blowing across the bed felt great.

I started the day with Bible Study and then a poptart. Then it was time to unpack the clothes that I leave here at the team house and the stuff that I brought. It looks like I brought a grocery store, since I can't eat certain things and bring what I can from the states. I have oatmeal, craisins and walnuts (for the oatmeal), prunes, tropical trail mix, mixed nuts, granola bars, tuna, organic crackers, etc. But it sure helps to keep me somewhat healthy, so I don't mind bringing it. I also brought German 2 big boxes of instant oatmeal, which he discovered he liked from my last trip.

Mary and I worked all morning getting things moved around and unpacked at the house. Then I had a pb&j sandwich and took a nap. I got some computer work done (Dubai College team, Community Meal Project, etc) and then visited with Mary downstairs. We sent Saturnino to Suyapa restaurant on his bike for dinner. Grilled chicken and veggies. Yum!

I finished the night on the computer (so glad that God allows internet access here!) and then went to sleep. It was a very peaceful and lovely sleep! God is blessing me with some relaxation after weeks of running around like crazy trying to get many projects in line. It's good to have a little down time.

Thursday: Woke up to those lovely birds again. I enjoy them. Did my Bible study on the veranda upstairs. I love sitting there feeling the breeze and seeing the ocean and palm trees and reading God's word.

Mary and I took the bus into León (about a 45-50 minute ride) and caught a taxi to La Unión grocery store (owned by Walmart). We picked up a couple of things and then met German at Tip Top Chicken restaurant (our favorite) for a lunch meeting. We went over schedules for the team for this coming week. Then we went to the corner to do some money exchanging. German went to teach his Spanish class for missionaries. Then Mary and I went walking around and visited the Central Park, where I bought a few more of the woven zippered bags that I love to use and give as gifts. We then walked over to Eskimo for our special treat of ice cream. Cono Jumbo is a double dip of ice cream on a waffle cone. Last year they raised the price to $1.50 US, but that still isn't bad. I have pictures of Mary and I enjoying our ice cream from two different trips where she is wearing a turquoise shirt. I looked at her funny today and mentioned that she was wearing a turquoise shirt again. Oh well, it was funny to us.

We grabbed another taxi (it costs us about 75 cents each) to the bus stop for Poneloya. We had the driver drop us off at the corner where the bus used to pick up. No bus, no people. hmmm. Then the money taker from the bus walked around the corner and told us the bus now stops just a little ways down the street and showed us the way. I guess someone noticed us and told him we were at the corner. We were glad that he came to get us. Who knows how long we would have stood there! We were lucky to get seats. When we boarded the bus, someone yelled "Mary!". It was a man named Victor from the Jericho church. Mary sat with him and I sat in front of them. I tried translating for them, but it was really hard for me to hear on the bus with the noise and with my hearing loss. We did okay, though. He wanted to know how long we are staying and if we can come to their church mission in Las Peñitas (near Poneloya). We gave him German's number. We don't have the words yet for that kind of conversation.

We got home and put our stuff away and rested a little. Mary got on her computer for a while. She even got news about Searcy AR. She says she can't get that back home. She has to come to Nica for it!

We took our first (for this trip) daily (when a team is not here) sunset walk on the beach. It was nice to walk in the water and look at sea shells. Oh my! How the waves have changed the beach! It was a lovely walk and we met a man from Canada who is here for 4-5 months waiting for the snow to melt back home. He was all tanned. We saw one of the blonde dogs from the area. He's the one we named Happy. We didn't see his brother with 3 legs, who we had named Hoppy. We did see a rather fat cat using the beach for her littler box. She had dug quite a large spot (maybe 3 feet wide). Very ambitious.

Mary ate the rest of her lunch salad for dinner and I fixed a tuna sandwich, organic crackers and a cucumber for dinner. Quite tasty. I grabbed a shower and jumped on the computer. Mary read for a while and now we are both tucked into our rooms for the night.

Tomorrow will be a big day of making up 18 beds, distributing towels, buying tons of groceries and getting ready for the team. Grocery buying day is always an adventure. Putting everything away comes in a close second. We'll take the bus into town to meet German, have lunch and then meet the cook at the grocery store. Then we'll hire a van to bring us and the grub home. We are finding many ways to cut costs, even here in Nica.

I stepped on a bee tonight in my room and my toe is killing me. That darn bee packed a wallop. I don't imagine that he was too happy with my big foot coming down on him, either. At least he is out of his misery. ha

Another wonderful day full of blessings from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment