Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12, 2011

Saturday evening. Trying to convince my body that it's an hour later, so that I can go to sleep and wake up at the 'right' time tomorrow.

Thursday was a great day of getting things done at home on the computer and some chores around the house. I got things all ready to hit it hard on Friday. There were 3 interpreters at the medical clinic, so I didn't need to go. I'm not a whole lot of help (quality help, anyway), but I can communicate in a pinch. And I enjoy it.

Friday morning I was up early doing my Bible study so that I could catch a ride with Deanna to the Olive street church offices. She was fussing at me for not wearing my 'green' for St Patrick's Day, until I told her she was a week early. LOL

Once I got to the church with my plastic tub of various items to deal with, I started right in. I made info packets for the parents of the Nicaragua team. Made copies of a corrected flyer for the Friday lunch project, so that the Food Pantry could pass them out. The Food Pantry was in good hands and didn't need my help, so I went over to the kitchen to start some of the food for the lunches. Kaye was there in the kitchen preparing for a banquet for that night. I got to chat with her for a little while, which was nice.

Heidi and Melanie came with their little volunteers and started setting up for the lunches. Melanie ran me to pick up sandwich makings, fruit and cookies. We set up for the lunches in the gym this week, since the Fellowship Hall was set up for the banquet. We didn't have any new people, but we had some new volunteers and it was nice to introduce them to each other. More discussion was shared about plans and procedures and we've made great progress. Now we just need to get the word out more and get ready for lots of guests in the coming weeks.

After the lunch, I went upstairs and started packing suitcases and tubs with ministry supplies to take to Nicaragua. I want to have everything ready so that the team can just grab an extra tub/suitcase on the day they leave for the airport. It will be great to get lots of stuff down there.

When I got home about 3:30, I laid down on the sofa just to rest a minute and I fell into a very deep sleep. Deanna said I was snoring up a storm. It felt good to have that nap.

Today, I did a few more chores around the house and then borrowed Deanna's van to run to some stores to pick up items that I need to take to Nica with me. I spent forever in Walmart getting stuff on my list and using some coupons. I brought everything home and started packing my extra bags with supplies. I have most of my stuff packed now, so it won't be too hard to finish up in the next few days.

I plan on enjoying worship tomorrow and being with friends. Monday will be a doctor's appointment for a hearing test, staff meeting, then a final meeting with Brian S about the Nica team. Tuesday morning will be Bible study, lunch with Deanna and then heading for the airport. It will go by fast.

I have enjoyed so much the Chronological Bible Study. I was excited to realize that my flight is late enough in the afternoon that I could still attend Bible Study that morning. That means I will only miss 1 day while I'm in Nica. I'll be doing my daily study, but I will miss the large group lecture and small group discussion on the last Tuesday of this month.

The earthquake and tsunami in Japan has been quite something. Now there is danger from the nuclear plant there. Life here can change in a heartbeat. I'm so thankful that I know my Savior and Father and have the promise and hope of Heaven. This life is temporary and we need to keep that in mind. I pray that I will keep my eyes on what is lasting and that I can glorify God by sharing that with others.

I'm so thankful for my friends and kingdom family. Being on facebook reminds me of many people who I have been blessed to meet and to know on many different levels. God has been so good to me. I am truly honored to be a Child of the King and to have wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment