Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday, 3/18 in Nicaragua

It's very much bedtime, but I'm just now getting a chance to post for the day. It's been another good day. :)

This morning we headed into town on the bus to meet German at El Callejon, one of my favorite restaurants. The taxi driver asked if we were North Americans. He said that he noticed that we checked the license plate on the taxis before choosing him. If they are a 'legal' taxi, they will have a red and white license plate. The gypsy taxis just have the regular vehicle plate. We made the mistake of riding in an unofficial taxi once. People were not happy. We respect the drivers who are legit. It costs a lot of money for that license plate and takes years to pay off. They deserve our business. Anyway, I was quite pleased to be able to have this discussion with him in Spanish. progress...

We had a yummy lunch. I love the steak with chimichurri sauce. We all got it, rice and beans, steamed veggies and a tortilla. Mary gave German part of her steak (it was a little tough, but I liked it) and some rice, the part of the veggies she doesn't care for (squash, etc) and her tortilla. His plate was full! He ate as much as he could and then got a to-go box. The people at the restaurant are very nice. I enjoy them.

Then we walked over to a music store. We each had our backpacks, German was also carrying his motorcycle helmet and to-go box, Mary ended up carrying some bags for groceries that I started out with and I ended up carrying a guitar that FBCR is donating to the ministry. We were quite the troupe of people walking single file down the narrow sidewalks (and in the street much of the time).

We then went to La Unión Supermercado for groceries for the team. Mary and I had discussed earlier what meals we would like to have and our cook, Yasmina, met us at the store and we filled up 3 carts with groceries. I filled up an additional cart with cookies that the team is buying for VBS next week. Mary's favorite sack boy was not there today, but he greeted her yesterday when we stopped in. We had two very hard working sack boys today. They were loading our groceries into boxes and giant bags. Then they took it straight out to our hired van, who had backed up to the front door of the store. It was hilarious. They've never allowed us to do that before. We got all the food packed away in the van and then Eduardo drove Mary and I home. Saturnino and Eduardo helped us unload everything. Then Mary and I put it all away. It took about an hour in the grocery store and another hour at the house. Grocery shopping for teams is a time consuming event. German will bring out the jugs of water, ice, and sweet bread tomorrow. We'll still have to go by the store mid-week for more groceries (we only have 2 regular size fridges), but we got most of it today.

Mary and I went through some suitcases and tubs to see what we had stored here for the team to use. I did some computer work and then we took off for our last sunset walk on the beach until the team leaves. It was a nice walk. The waves and current were very strong. We met 2 couples from Texas who were vacationing here. We came in and had a bite to eat. I had peanutbutter and apple, since I was still so full from lunch. I got a refreshing shower and Mary got on her computer. I did some bookkeeping chores and read ahead on my Bible Study.

It's the last quiet night here for a week. We're looking forward to the team getting here tomorrow. I've really enjoyed having these extra days to prepare instead of rushing to get ready in just a day or two. God has blessed us with some relaxing, but productive days.

I'm signing off now to enjoy the quiet night. I know the team is excited as they are going to bed tonight in Rogers. God is so faithful and gracious and generous. I'm so thankful that He allows us to be a part of His work.

No comments:

Post a Comment