Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday, 3/23 in Nicaragua

What a difference a day makes! This time yesterday I was so exhausted that I couldn't hardly type. And this morning, I had a poptart for breakfast because I was too tired to make instant oatmeal. :( But, today's schedule was easier by just an hour hear and an hour there, and it really made a difference in stamina. God is faithful to refresh these bodies that He created.

We went to La Padrera (near the Sewer Ponds) for VBS. We haven't been there much, but we did do a Fiesta there in December. There is no church to work with, so we set up in the dusty street on the corner. This is a very poor neighborhood that is rich in harvest. We did the VBS stories, crafts, music and games, then gave out snacks and candy. Some of our team went street witnessing. It was really hot and dusty. That's just how it is in the dry season.

Next we went just down the road a little ways to the Sewer Ponds neighborhood (Monte Horeb), one of my favorites. Two of the team members have been here before. Stacie was here last March when things looked just like now. Kearsten was here in July during the rainy season. Kearsten actually got to spend 2 days at the Sewer Ponds, but didn't recognize it at all, because of the difference since it's the dry season. She was amazed. She did recognize some of the people, though.

We did VBS there and then handed out food to the community. It was great to be the ones working on giving it out. Our cooks daughter prepared the rice dish in big pots outside here at the house all morning. One of the vans came back to the house to pick it up during the VBS and we served the food out of the van. There was also drinks and cookies and candy. Everyone was fed and we had some left over to offer seconds to a few people. It was a good time of serving.

We got back home about an hour before lunch (we eat around 1:30), so we had a quick team meeting and ate and then everyone got some extra 'down' time. Many went out to the beach again. Only gringos are on the beach in the middle of the day. :) I, for one, stretched out on my bed and did some computer work and posted a few pics on facebook. I never took a nap, but it sure felt good to put these heat-swollen ankles up for a while.

We had an early dinner and then headed for town to take a drive up to El Sapote. We wanted the team to see the water well system that was provided by FBC Rogers Youth last year. The main road into the town was shut down for repair, and the only other way in is to take a very long detour through town, down the highway, through some fields and then to the neighborhood. It would take much longer than we had time for before church. Soooo, plan B was to go to Eskimo for ice cream again. The team cheered at this news. We enjoyed our surprise snack and headed off to our two church locations.

I was blessed to visit Iglesia Mi Redentor with the drama team again. I did get a little teary, but not as much tonight. The drama team did a great job again. I'm so proud of them. John, Abby, Mariano, Jerry, Rebekah, Grace and Laura - You ROCK!!! The church applauded when Jesus overcame the sin to restore Abby's life. With the music, it makes a powerful moment. Speaking of the music, we use an iPod and usually a church will have a cable to plug it into their sound system (if they have one). This church didn't have a cable, so we had taken my little travel iPod speaker and it worked wonders with the microphone. Thank You Lord for blessing me with this wonderful item.

Abby gave the message, using the props for a visual presentation that her dad uses, too. She was a little nervous, but the ice was broken when her translator, Jaasiel, accidentally started repeating the English into English. It was a funny moment and Abby said that she instantly felt the nerves go away and was ready to speak. She did an excellent job. The music tonight was great and I have most of the songs on my iPod. I love listening to Spanish praise music. At the end of the service, Jerry asked the Pastor if we could pray for any of the congregation who had prayer needs. Some people of all ages came forward with various requests for healing, safety, etc. One little girl asked for happiness. Laura has a hilarious story about praying with this girl. Ask her to tell it to you when you see her at FBCR. I was blessed to pray with a lady, named Josepa, who was ill and was asking for healing. I prayed with her entirely in Spanish. I know my grammar was not perfect, but I'm sure God forgave me for that. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us, so I know He cleaned up my language limitations. Josepa was in tears as we blessed the name of our Creator and Healer. We prayed together this special night and I know we will rejoice together in Heaven some day.

Since the churches were between the house and León, we got to get home fairly early (before 9pm). It was nice to sit around and rest and chat. Mary made one last run to the grocery store for tomorrow's meals. Everyone was ready for bed by 10pm and we will all rest well tonight.

While at the Sewer Ponds neighborhood today, I got to see some familiar faces and marvel at how the kids are growing up. I hope we get to see them a lot this summer, too. Dariela and her family were there. I got to get my picture taken with them. Kearsten got to hold her last summer and she can't believe how much she has grown. I now have 3 different pictures of her over the last year to see her progress. She will be 1 year old on April 20. I told her mom and dad that I would pray for her especially on that day. What a sweet connection.

I also got to see another sweet girl again. I can't remember her name, but she is special. She has Downs Syndrome. I got to get my picture taken with her. I made sure that Becca Janes got to see that picture. God has planted these precious lives all around His world to bring sunlight into those places.

It's almost 11pm here, and if I sign off now, I might get a little over 5 hours sleep tonight. So I'll say goodnight and sweet dreams and pray God's blessings all over Nicaragua, León, Voice of Hope ministries, the FBCR team and everyone praying for us while serving this week. God is faithful. He has much to teach us. And He is worthy of our best efforts to glorify Him. I'm so thankful for the opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment