Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thursday, 3/30 in Nicaragua

My last night here in Nicaragua until June. Every time I leave, it feels less and less sad, because I know I'll be back soon. I started out joking that I was just visiting the states and that this is home. But, as time goes on, God makes this more true.

Mary, Beth and I worked the last few days getting the house ready to shut down for a couple of months. I split my time between working on packing the house and also helping Beth with sorting and packing all the great ministry supplies that FBCR brought down with them. We're ready for the summer! It was a good chance to talk and catch up and find out more about each other, too. I've only gotten to work with Beth for 4 weeks last summer. This time of working without the demands of a team really help to solidify our relationships with each other.

I took a little nap today, while the electric was off again. It was pretty warm in the room, but I managed to fall asleep. I awoke when the power came back on and I could feel a wonderful breeze from the fans. German had just gotten here and we had a little meeting with Saturnino and Araceliz. We're working on some challenges to help the house and other aspects of the ministry run better. As we grow and get busier, it will be important to run as smoothly as possible so that the little hiccups that come from being in a third-world country will be manageable.

I finished up my bookkeeping duties tonight and got that emailed to German and Mike. I'm all set to go.

I'm sad that I didn't get to see all my friends here this trip. But I know I'll see them in a few months. I'm very blessed with wonderful people here in Nica.

Mary, Beth and I took our last sunset beach walk together tonight. We were down at the inlet, and the water was way out. We were standing there in ankle deep water looking for seashells and a strong surge (not quite a wave) came in and hit us at the top of our legs. It was so strong that it knocked Mary over. I grabbed one arm and Beth grabbed the other and we held on. A nearby fisherman had jumped up and was coming to our rescue, but we were okay. Mary was not hurt and we had a good laugh.

We got home and took showers and threw our clothes in the washer. We had a dinner of leftovers and I shared my last chocolate puddings with Beth. I've saved some instant oatmeal for breakfast in the morning. Beth will eat some of the other left overs while she stays another couple of days and then she'll share the rest with the workers.

We had some drinks and cookies left over from VBS, so we are sharing them with the kids who live on our street.

We're leaving for the airport at 7am tomorrow. We have to make a quick stop to meet with Manuel and pick up a watch that one of the team members left on his van. Beth will go with Manuel & Cecila to Granada for a few hours while German is getting his van worked on. Then she'll come back to the house for the next few days. The plane for me and Mary leaves at noon, so we have to be there by 10am. It takes about 1.5-2 hours to get to the airport, so we'll be doing good. I hope to grab a little sandwich at the airport before we board. It all depends on the line at check-in. It has taken up to 1.5 hours just to check in before.

I'll get home tomorrow night about 9pm. Becca is picking me up at the airport. It always seems weird to think I'll be in my own bed tomorrow night. Friday will be a very busy day and the rat-race will begin anew.

We have a big summer planned with VOH here in Nica. It will be exhausting at times, but wonderful. God is moving in mighty ways here and blessing the ministry as well as the people living here. I'm so blessed to be a part of it. I love Kingdom work!

No comments:

Post a Comment