Thursday, March 17, 2011

coming Home to Nicaragua

On Tuesday I began my journey back to Nicaragua. I arrived at XNA airport (Rogers AR) the required 2 hours early for my international flight. As I was struggling with my bags at the back of Deanna's van, a nice gentleman who was waiting for his ride said he would help me if Deanna would watch his bags. He strolled right up to the counter for me. How nice! There was hardly anyone else in the airport. I zipped right through security. No pat downs this time! I grabbed a bagel (for emergencies) and a bottled water and settled in to a somewhat comfortable seat by the tv monitor to await my flight. I made a few phone calls and watched the news and started feeling a little drowsy.

Our flight from XNA to IAH (Houston) was less than half full. The flight attendant told us over the speaker to just sit wherever we wanted. I grabbed a double seat and got comfy. I read my Kindle and dozed off for a little while.

We reached IAH just a few minutes early, so I had the chance to visit the restroom and grab a sandwich to go before heading to my gate, where I met up with Mary (flying in from Little Rock). I had just enough time to get my passport and boarding pass checked and then boarded the plane. I had an aisle seat and the one next to me was empty, so it was nice to have both arm rests to my self. (funny how those little things can make a person happy).

When we arrived in Managua we scurried on to immigration and then to customs. The Ministry of Health was passing out forms asking where you were coming from, what cities you had visited and if you had any of a list of nasty symptoms. I wondered how thorough this process would be, but when I went through the immigration station, the guy took my health form and just set it aside and didn't even look at it. I guess I looked healthy enough. On to getting our baggage and then through customs, which is just a ride for the baggage through an x-ray machine and handing the paper to someone, who also doesn't look at it. Then we were free to traverse the doors of glass that connect to the wall of glass. It was good to see German. He's like a younger brother to me. I love to hear his voice and see his smile.

We made a quick stop at On the Run (convenience store) for water (Pepsi for Mary) and a few things for the morning. Then off for the long ride to the team house. It was the first time Mary and I got to chat and we also caught up with German on things going on down here. We made it to the team house about 11:30 Nica time (12:30 AR time). We unpacked a little and then went to bed. I have to say that I find it funny that the cleaning lady (Araceliz) always put the mattress cover OVER the fitted sheet and I end up remaking the bed. But it's all good. A great night of sleep listening to the ocean waves and the 2 fans blowing in my room. It's good to be back.

God blessed us with good flights, good weather, making our connection in Houston, safe travel from the airport and a safe home to sleep in. He is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment