Wednesday, March 9, 2011

my birthday 2011

Birthdays have taken on a new feeling since I started in my 50s. It seems absurd to be 50, so every year it seems funny to add a higher digit to my age. This year makes 54. So weird!

After Bible study yesterday, many of the ladies ended up at Chick-Fil-A for lunch. As the 4 of us in our group ordered, someone told the manager that it was going to be my birthday today. While we were eating, he brought a balloon tied to a little stuffed cow (their mascot) to my table. Someone started singing Happy Birthday and when the ladies from Bible study (who were spread all over the restaurant) joined in, the other people in the restaurant looked surprised that so many people were singing. It was funny. and a little embarrassing. :) But it made me feel loved... I tried giving my balloon away to some moms when we were leaving, but no takers. So before we got in the car, I made a birthday wish and let the balloon go. We watched it fly way up in the air. It was kind of fun.

Deanna and her grand-daughter, Melanie, took me out to eat last night at Smokin' Joes. It was very tasty! We had fun talking about things that happened when Melanie was little. Deanna always has wonderful stories. I gave my little Chick-Fil-A cow to Melanie for her black and white bedroom.

I started the day with the usual... Wonderful Bible study. Check emails. Super Oatmeal for breakfast. Laundry. Trying to organize my bedroom. Sorting out items to be given away. Lunch. Nap. More emails and work. Dinner at Red Lobster with Nana Ruth. Home. More emails. A little more work before bedtime.

I've had over a hundred birthday wishes on facebook today. I feel so blessed! It was been fun to hear from friends from all over the world and around the country. It makes my heart warm to remember how I've met these people. God has blessed my life so much with these wonderful encounters. God has given me wonderful memories. I enjoyed answering each post.

I received a little birthday money and I'm putting it into my airline account. I'm going to keep a savings account going for plane tickets to travel and work with other missionaries around the world. My next trip (besides serving in Nicaragua, of course!) is a joint trip to India/Dubai. I hope to be able to go in late August through Sept and maybe into October. God is blessing me with opportunities and the desire to go, and I know He will provide the way if it's His will to do it.

I was also blessed with a laptop backpack to give to a friend in Nic. That was a wonderful gift for me! I love being able to bless other people.

I've got a few major projects to accomplish by weeks' end, and it gives me a little anxiety not to have a vehicle to come and go and get things done, but it will all work out okay. I want to get my bags packed for Nic by Sunday. I have lots of tubs and bags to get packed for the team to take. I want to get them done this Friday. I leave on Tuesday and Monday is already filled with a doctor's appointment and staff meeting. I'd like to keep Sunday a day of rest and worship and not packing. :)

My sister Pam is through with her radiation treatments for breast cancer. She is feeling pretty good, considering. Her blood sugar (she has diabetes) has been more stable during the radiation treatments. She's interested to find out how it goes now that her treatments are done. She'll be seeing her doctors in the next weeks to see what the next steps are. I'm glad to hear her feeling better.

My sister Sandy called today after picking up her grandson Conner from preschool, thinking that he would want to join her in singing happy birthday to me. He felt that she could handle the singing by herself. He is funny.

I guess I'll go to bed for now. Getting older makes a person sleepy. I'm very blessed and thankful to my Lord. I hope that He is glorified through my life. He deserves so much more than I can give. My birthday is a celebration of His Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment