Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27, 2010

It seems surreal that it's the very end of November and that Thanksgiving has past. I was so blessed to spend that day working with the Paragould AR team here in Nic.

This time of year in the states is so focused on Christmas shopping and Black Friday sales and cyber Monday sales, etc. I have to remind myself that all of that is going on back 'home'. Here in Nic, it's a special time of year for Christmas, also. There is a custom (law) here called the Thirteenth Month. Everyone gets an additional month's pay and benefits in December. That means there is a lot of shopping and celebrating going on here. Lots of celebrations in the streets and parks. Lots of shopping in the stores and markets. The cashiers at La Union grocery store have been wearing santa hats since before we got here on Nov 17. Everywhere has Christmas trees up and Nativities set out. There are Christmas lights strung along the streets. Very interesting in 80-90 degree weather. I think the overstated excitement of the Thirteenth Month makes the Christmas season more prominent in my mind. Oh, and another thing they do down here for the holiday season is set off fireworks. Big, loud fireworks. Even our team bought some last week and set them off on the beach one night (much to the dismay of one of our neighbors). It will be really fun to spend the Christmas season here.

This morning I slept in as long as I could. I went to bed last night feeling very rotten. I coughed all night long, but I seem to be making progress on getting the junk out of my chest. I still sound pretty bad, but I'm feeling a little better. It will be better every day.

This morning, Mary and I worked on putting things away from the past week's ministry. The cleaning ladies did a wonderful job getting all the towels and sheets washed and put away, sweeping and mopping the whole house and cleaning up the bathrooms and kitchen. It was nice to just have our own rooms to deal with.

I spent most of the morning on the computer recapping the business transactions for all stuff that went on this last week. I miss having a printer at my disposal. I sent the spreadsheet as an attachment to an email to German, but he only printed off 3 of the 6 pages. Anyway, we got most of it discussed.

I'm really thankful to have my computer here and internet access. I can get emails and facebook on my phone, for a price, but having the computer is much superior. I know that it seems like I'm not roughing it much with that wonderful benefit, but it is sooo handy. I have some things to continue to organize back in Rogers AR while I'm here in Nic, so this is great! I can also post on my blog for those who are following the ministry down here. Speaking of being spoiled by gadgets, I also have my iPod here and a little portable speaker for it, a rechargeable book light and my electric toothbrush. I'm spoiled, huh? I keep everything charged up all the time, just in case we have any power outage. Don't want to be caught off guard!

The team wondered how Mary and I would make it here the next 5-6 weeks without air-conditioning and tv. We don't really notice not having those things. I love having the fans blowing on me much more than I enjoy air-conditioning. There is plenty to read and study, not to mention being able to research stuff on the net and keep up with blogs and facebook. And walking the beach is better than looking at tv any old day! Besides, we'll be busy most days going out to some of the communities like the Sewer Pond village and the Dump to serve meals and to minister to the people. We think it's perfect!

I've been able to use the internet (and facebook) to keep up with some friends who are going through some really tough medical situations. I'm so thankful to be able to follow their progress and know how to specifically pray for them. My sister Pam will be having her breast cancer surgery (and gallbladder removal) on Dec 5. I know that she is anxious for this to get over. I pray that her body will start healing fast and strong. I pray for God's hand on her life. I pray that she comes to know and trust Him soon.

I guess I don't have much else to say this evening. I'm ready for some sleep, even though it is still fairly early. Gotta get over this cold so I can go full steam ahead this week.

Blessings to all who take the time to read my musings. I am thankful for all of the love, prayer and support that allows me to serve as a full-time missionary. I can't imagine my life any different. God has blessed me so much. May He be glorified in every word, thought and deed. I love Him so.

No comments:

Post a Comment