Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday, November 26, 2010

The official 'Fun Day' for the team. After a week of hard work and long schedules, it's good to take the team sightseeing and shopping so that they can fall in love with the country and people a little more.

Normally, we leave early in the morning to fit as much in as possible. Today was a little different. This team's church actually sponsors a Compassion International child and they had the chance to meet with her today at 10am. While the van load of those cleared to meet with her set of for the meeting place, the other 2 vans went to La Union grocery store to pick up some Nic coffee and other items. They we all joined up at On the Run to wait for the meeting with Fabiola, the little girl. By the time that meeting was over, we were leaving Leon at 11:30am instead of the usual 7:30am.

We went to the volcano first and then to the Gringo Market in Masaya and then to Narcy's to eat Tip Top Chicken and Pizza Hut Pizza. The volcano was interesting and there is a museum at the entrance to the park. After going up the volcano, we stopped at the museum to look around quickly and to use the bathrooms. Then we jumped back on the bus for that all important shopping trip.

We got to spend about an hour at the Market and I think everyone found what they were looking for. I had a couple of gifts to look for and Mary walked around with me just for fun. She didn't need to pick up anything and I needed very little. I was glad to find what I was looking for, though.

We went to Narcy's restaurant and took over their back room with the 31 of us. Oscar (one of the translators) had his 4 year old son with us today. It was fun for the 2 little girls on our team. We all chowed down and got really full. The checks are always a challenge to keep straight at the end and this time was no different. We finally got everything paid for and then headed to the hotel.

We had stopped at the hotel on the way into Managua earlier in the day, so the rooms were all prepared and everyone had their suitcases already in the rooms. We just got a quick team picture and then the team went to their rooms and the bus drivers, translators, Mary and I went to the gas station to prepare to part ways. Manuel and Fabio were staying in their hometowns of Managua and Masaya. All of the VOH people were traveling back to Leon with Danilo. We got drinks for the translators and dinner to bring back to Saturnino and hit the road. Most of us settled down to doze off on the way home. I for one, couldn't wait to get in bed and sleep till I feel like waking up tomorrow!!

I've had a battle with my ears being full for a while now. That has not changed and they are better on some days. Now I have added a head cold with a sore throat and congestion and cough. I'm hoping that some rest and getting back on my regular schedule of vitamins will knock it out quickly. I can't talk without really shouting and that hurts. I can't hear well, so people think I'm ignoring them, and I can't hear well on the phone. I feel like cutting my head off sometimes. But I'm thankful to have been able to keep working with the team this week in spite of feeling yucky. God is faithful in providing strength and healing.

I made some new friends on this team, who I like very much. This week has been pretty relaxing and fun, even with the usual changes and opportunities for flexibility that come with ministry here in Nic. It's been a good week and I'm thankful to be here. God is Good. In all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment