Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

We actually had rain last night! First time in MONTHS! It was a storm actually, which kept knocking out the electricity all night long. This morning it was hot and sunny and HUMID!! The ground had soaked up all the rain. If not for the humidity, you would not know that there was any moisture around. As I’m sitting here this evening typing this, I hear some thunder coming this way. We’ll see how things go…

I got up and started preparing for the day. Mayela got here early and we started working on our own parts of the Feeding Centers projects. Lesly got here, then the Hulsey’s and everyone was working away. Since we had an event here last night, we had an extra cleaning lady today to help Aracelys. Saturnino had to go to the Husley’s house for little bit to work on a bathroom. Everyone was very busy.

The Coke guys came early this morning to deliver our weekly order (bottled water, sodas), so I had to pay them, since the Hulsey’s weren’t here yet. The bill came to 1,495.95 córdabas and I happened to have 1500 in my wallet. We spend US dollars a lot, but sometimes the people would rather have cords. It was about $65 US. Considering we have to buy all our drinkable water, it’s a good deal.

Mayela and I headed out to Monte Horeb to visit the Feeding Center today. It turns out that they weren’t feeding today. We knew that all the Feeding Centers weren’t feeding on Thursday and Friday because of Holy Week, but we weren’t aware about today. I think there may have been a problem with finding enough of the cooks still in town. This week is when many people travel to near by towns (and farther cities) to visit family. A lot of the town just closes down. I think we will be finding ways to make sure the Feeding Centers are open on holiday weeks.

After a yummy lunch, we were all working on our projects again for a while. Mary has been studying for her Evangelism class that she is starting to teach on Monday at 2 churches. She’s also been sewing and mending some things for Mayela. She enjoys that.

Lesly and I went to town to buy a new microwave for my room. My ‘possessed’ one acted up with the 77:77 and beeping again. We found a Frigidaire brand that I liked, so I grabbed it. I’m getting used to driving in León now. So far so good!

I got back to the Mission House and put my new microwave in my room. It’s looks nice and I like it even better than the possessed one that I had borrowed from the Hulseys.

I worked a few more hours on the Feeding Center project. I’ll be working on my part of it (documentation, tracking, communication) for the rest of the week to get files set up and databases completed. Then we’ll be ready to get update pictures and info from the kids starting next week as we visit a different Feeding Center each day.

Mayela worked on printing and cutting out the kids pics and putting the next sponsor book together for the Noah’s Ark Feeding Center. She got quite a bit done today. We work well together and I enjoy her.

Manuel had a hard time with school today. He was having some behavior problems, so the Hulsey’s went home a little early. Mary and I were each on a computer working and it was nice and quiet. We kept at it until the mosquitoes started bothering us. Then we went inside our rooms for the night.

Juver and his kinfolk had made some bunkbeds for the ministry. They are really nice and sturdy. There were some issues with due dates and such (normal for Nica), but the end product was very good and Mike was very pleased with them.

It is really pouring down rain and thundering a lot. I believe it’s a gulley washer!! Unfortunately, it will wipe out some roads. I hope it passes by quickly.

Buster was scratching on my door last night, but I wouldn’t let him in. He can sleep in Alberto’s little house, and I knew that he would keep me up and down all night, so I left him outside. Tonight, he made a pounding noise on my door and I thought it might be Mary or Alberto, so I opened the door. Buster ran in and promptly hid under my bed behind some tubs. I can’t get him out, so I guess he will join me for the night. That little bugger better not keep me up! Ha

I talked with my sister Sandy today and we’ve decided not to take the chance of trying to handle the paperwork for Dad’s estate down here. It’s just too complicated and ‘iffy’ to get legal documents taken care of that will be accepted in the states. So I’m going to fly to Indiana on May 24 for a few days to sign papers and help finalize stuff. It will be nice to be up there with family during that time. I had some money come to me that I was not expecting, so I’m using it to cover most of my airfare. Going at that time will also satisfy my Visa requirements so that I can stay until Aug 13 as planned without having to get an extension. I’m actually starting to look forward to going. I’m going to put my clothes in my carryon and put the carryon in my big suitcase since I can take one checked bag for free. Then when I come back I can have my carryon with clothes in it and use my big suitcase to bring stuff back that I buy in the states. There are so many things on our wishlist that I can’t wait to bring it back!

I called Nana Ruth this evening and she is doing pretty well. I love being able to call on my iPhone using Skype for just pennies a minute. It sure makes communication a lot better.

I’m so spoiled to technology, but I’m very grateful for it. Being able to keep in touch with people helps with relationships, as well as communicating with teams coming down and sharing with my supporters and prayer partners about what God is doing here and how blessed I am to be serving here.

I guess I’ll go for now and see if the lightning and thunder quit soon so I can watch my nightly video. I’m spoiled to that, too! I don’t miss TV much at all and I’m enjoying watching my little videos most every night. Then I read until sleepy. It’s a nice quiet life most of the time.

I have many friends who are going through physical problems, deaths in the family, breakups of marriages, etc. My heart goes out to all of them. I find that I have more time to pray for them when I’m here. Actually, it’s just that there is less distraction and I can concentrate more on prayer time here. But I could always improve my time management!! Especially when it comes to prayer and Bible study!!

No comments:

Post a Comment