Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Today was overcast from the storm coming through last night. So weird for this time of year. I knew Sherry wouldn’t like the clouds today because she likes to get her time in the sun in as often as she can. She opted for cooking and baking this morning instead. So we had a really great lunch. We even had chocolate cake!

Mayela and her two kids came to spend the day and night with us. Jaasiel brought her son Matthew over for a while. Mayela and the kids swam for a while and had great fun playing.

I worked on the master database for the Feeding Centers. I started it yesterday afternoon and finished it today. It took about 8 hours to get everything put together, but I like doing that sort of thing, so it was all good. Right now, we are feeding 395 kids regularly and have 90+ sponsors who pay $45 per year to feed 1 child. There are about another 100 sponsors that have chosen a child, but I don’t have all the details yet, so I’ll be adding them to the list in the next week or so.

I also got some emails sent and visited with Mayela, Jaasiel, Mary and the Hulseys. I was hoping for a nap, but that didn’t happen. I did get 2 loads of laundry done, though. And I hemmed 2 pairs of capris that I had made from cut off jeans. I watched a Marcos Witt DVD while sewing. I love his songs. It’s a great DVD that I got for only $1 here. What a bargain! Oh, and I sewed some new elastic into the waist of a dress for Mayela. I’m itching to sew a project soon, so maybe tomorrow will be the day!!

Manuel came over to have us babysit tonight. Mary did most of the entertaining for him. Alberto played baseball with him and then Mary heated him up some dinner just like Albertos. Manuel sat with Alberto and ate dinner. They converse even though they speak different languages. That’s never stopped Manuel before!

Mayela and her 2 kids went to the movies to see The Lorax. They liked it. They got home shortly before Manuel left for the evening. Mary and I retired to our rooms and left Mayela and the kids with a laptop and a couple of Veggietale movies. I’m going to watch a movie tonight myself, I think. It feels like a Saturday night since it’s Holy Week and everyone is celebrating. I usually stay messed up on days of the week, anyway.

I’m hoping that the storms are over for another few months. I like the rain, especially in the dry season, but I don’t like storms here at all. They are too dangerous. There are no lightning rods on buildings like in the states. Everything is fair game for the lightning. I’ll settle for plain rain. But if there is no rain tonight, I will get to sleep really well. Here’s hoping…

Even though I didn’t leave the Mission House today, I got a lot of work done, so I’m feeling very pleased. Tomorrow I’m going to have a fun day of sewing and messing around in my room. There will be 70 people sleeping here starting at 2pm tomorrow through Saturday evening. It’s some kind of event for Holy Week. I’ll be in my room early in the evening, so I’ll have plenty of time to do some stuff.

Tomorrow for lunch, I’m going to meet Oscar and Josselin for lunch. I’m treating them as a belated wedding present. I can’t wait to see them! After lunch I’ll probably just come back to the Mission House. I expect it to be hard to get around much in town and most of the stores (and probably restaurants) will be closed. It will be a good day for rest! Due to the craziness on the streets, I decided to turn down the offer of my friend Estephanie to get together tomorrow evening. I want to spend time with her, but I don’t want to be out in the crowd.

I love being here for Easter because of the effect that Holy Week has on everyone. It makes you more aware of the holiday. Unfortunately, it’s mostly Catholic events and services and they leave Jesus pretty much on the cross and don’t really celebrate His life afterward. I’m praying that every year there are more and more Nicas who know and celebrate Christ’s resurrection and eternal life by having a relationship with Him.

I pray the same thing for people all over the world. I pray that there will be many messages shared about Christ this weekend beyond the benign things that just ‘go with the season’. (by the way, have you ever tried to explain the Easter Bunny to another culture???) It’s so much more important to explain Christ and His power of Salvation and Redemption. Lord, please find me faithful in this…

No comments:

Post a Comment