Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday, September 16, 2011

Happy Birthday to my sister Sandy!
Also, Happy Independence Day to Mexico!

AND Praise You Jesus! You are my Lord EVERYDAY!

Yesterday was so great! Donna let me borrow her car while she was working a 12 hour day. I had made some appointments throughout the day to make the best use of my time. I met with Lori for some good advice and tutoring on Oral Bible Storying. The info was great, but even more special was the time we got to talk and get to know each other a little better. Her understanding of wanting to get back out in the field full-time is a bond that few can understand. She and her Pastor husband lead a wonderful church and train teams to do really special ministry in Africa, where their family served full-time as missionaries. She understands how I feel about getting back into the field. How wonderful for me to be prayed over by her. I even got to enjoy a Chai Tea Latte, which I rarely allow myself to do. Little things can be very precious to me!

I scurried over to the Olive St building to meet with Brian, FBCR Youth Pastor, about the Spring Break mission trip to Nica. An info meeting for that trip is planned for Sept 25. Travel costs are high for Spring Break time, but I know that God will make it possible for those who He calls to come.

After doing a few more work duties I headed over to have lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant. I enjoyed that very much. Then I went to the Post Office to mail some packages and to get a PO Box for my permanent address. I've just used the church address since I've been back from NYC, but felt it was time to get the box. It was interesting to explain why I don't have a physical address with utility bills in my name. You have to have 3 pieces of ID, one with a pic (AR Driver's Lic), something else with my name on it (I used an insurance card), and something with a physical address. oops! I explained that I'm a missionary and live with a friend when in the states. They had me talk to someone in Customer Service and she finally allowed me to get the box. The clerk was very friendly and chatty. She picked a box that I wouldn't have to reach too high or low to use and a number that would be easy to remember. We talked about serving in Nica. It was a very pleasant time at the Post Office. How often can someone say that??!!

I got the chance to talk to a friend in South Carolina on the phone. She is going into full-time missions and we began our friendship via facebook, email and phone last year. She is the friend of a friend who I met when he came to NYC to work with us on a mission team. Small world. Talking with Mary Lu was fun and exciting.

I had a meeting with Roger and Deb at Clement Financial Services. They are who I have my life insurance through. I also had my will done by a lawyer associated with them years ago. I needed to do some things with beneficiary changes and such. Generally, they help guide people through investments, planning for financial future, etc. I, of course, am opposite of the world. Being single, child-less, middle-aged and in full-time missions ministry, have different material goals than other people. I have no assets or capital, but neither do I have consumer debt, college funds to pay for, etc. Roger gave me some advice about health insurance and taxes, both of which are challenges for me. Even though it was the first time I met Deb, we had a nice conversation about how God is working in her family's lives. Roger prayed for me and I was all set. How blessed to be prayed over by 2 different people in the same day!

I was lucky to grab a haircut appointment for the afternoon (thank you Carolyn!) and stopped by a couple of stores in between appointments. I always check out clearance sections, no matter what store I'm in. I found a few things for Nica at Kohl's, Office Depot and Deals. I'm not a shop-a-holic, and I don't like spending money. But I love finding bargains in clearance areas. I don't always use the items in the ways they are intended, but God puts them in my path for just the right reasons!

I spoke to the leaders of 2 of the ABF classes at FBCR and will speak this Sunday to both classes about coming to Nica this summer. It will be so fun!

After my haircut, I ran home to unload the car of all my bargains and to fill it up with 6 big bags of clothes and other items to donate to the garage sale that Cuerpo Vivo is hosting this weekend for Missions. I delivered those items to the church gym and helped set things up for a little while. Then I needed to head to Walmart for a few items and to give the car back to Donna, who works in the Vision Center. I found some amazing deals in the clearance aisle there! They had some pencil boxes for 10 cents each, so I bought all they had on the shelves (about 50). I will use these for Nica. They will make good boxes for the kids gifts, women's toiletries, sewing starter kits, men's kits, etc... A huge stack of stuff for just $5. I also got some plastic milk crates for just $1 each. What a haul! These things will have to go to Nica on future trips (due to space limitations), but I'm thankful that God put them before me now.

I got home, unloaded the car and thanked Donna for allowing me to use her car for the day. So much accomplished! Some of which didn't get scheduled until I was on the fly. I love it when God orders my steps! It was such a full day of blessings.

I've spent the day today putting away, organizing and packing the stuff I bought yesterday. I have my tub (extra luggage item), carry-on and half of my suitcase packed and ready. I have the other half of my suitcase ready for a few clothes and toiletries, books and essentials. My backpack is my 'personal' item and it will carry personal electronics, meds & vitamins (3 month's worth) and other personal items. I'm trying to keep my room organized and not too stuffed in the mean time. It felt good to get rid of so much old stuff yesterday to make room for the stuff I need to store to take to Nica in the future.

The weather was cold and rainy all day so I didn't get my walk yesterday or today. argh! I miss it! I'll have to do a workout video later. I hope to walk tomorrow. I sure hate to miss it. Jet has not gotten to walk these last 2 days either. He doesn't understand the reasons as well as I do, though. Bless his heart!

I'm so thankful for all that God does in my life. The hard times to grow me and teach me to trust Him more. The easy times to rejoice in His love and provision. How awesome that He never lets our lives get boring! He is ever faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment