Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thursday, June 30, 2011 Nicaragua

It’s the last ministry day with the team. We had 2 Fiestas in the morning and then went to the Las Quimeras church to start pouring a concrete floor. The kids saw our vans and started gathering. When school let out a little early this morning, they all came to see us, too. So we got out our Fiesta boxes and pulled together some games and candy to entertain the kids with.

The team has some good people for story and song resources. They came up with stuff to keep about 40 kids happy for a while. We gave out candy as they left. There were some teenage boys who came to see the North American girls. We had the North American teens witness to them on the sidelines.

Some of the guys worked on sifting dirt, mixing sand, dirt and concrete together to pour part of the floor in the church. We filled in an area as big as we could with the amount of cement that we had. It was hard, sweaty and rewarding work. I got to use a shovel for a short time, but mostly I just took pictures.

It is so wonderful to see that little church progressing. Ralph, who preached there last week, left some money to buy 5 chairs to add to the ones in the church. I might try to do the same. I love going out there.

It’s been weird this week as we travel from place to place. The team has done a great job of splitting into two groups for Fiestas. They end up getting on the vans in that way, so that leaves Chin-Chin, our little VOH van empty, except for Mike and Sherry and Manuelito until we pick up the translators. They all end up on a van to themselves. I miss riding with the translators. I miss getting to talk to them more.

The food this month has been so good. Sherry is supervising the cooks and they are making some great food for the teams. When it’s just us VOH people, Sherry had been cooking once a day for us. Not that they are in their own house down the street, I think we’re on our own. ☺ It will be a good time for me to get serious about doing my shakes for meals. I eat way too much food when the teams are here. It’s just hard to resist!

Sherry is trying to get us all on a healthy path. She has her work cut out for her! I got to walk 4.5 miles yesterday, when I took my ‘required day off’. I hadn’t had the chance to walk for over a week. I really want to get into a routine of it. It’s easier when there is not a team here. Also, I think I will make more time when it’s a team that I don’t have a personal connection to. I’ll not want to spend so much time visiting with them. Then I’ll go ahead and walk early while they are having breakfast. Oh well, sitting on the van for so much traveling back and forth is not helping my backside, either!

It’s been very hot the last few days. Last evening, there was thunder and lightening for a while, but I don’t think it ever rained. We haven’t missed any ministry because of weather, so that’s nice. It’s hard to tell when it will stir up a rain. Winter here (summer in the US) is the rainy season, after all.

Next week we don’t have a team, so I’ll be getting stuff ready for the next week. Then the following week, VOH staff will do other ministry while the large team does their crusade. I’ll have to find out from German what our ministry will be so I can get ready.

A teacher from the Las Quimeras area school asked for a packet of school supplies for the school to use. I’ll make one up and have it ready for German to deliver on Monday. Mike wants to start having School Kits made up from stuff that each team brings down. We’ll have to work that into our correspondence. It will be a good thing.

I’m looking forward to all the changes, improvements and growth that we will be going through these next months. It’s so exciting so see how God is growing this ministry.

I’m so blessed to be a part of it. I love that God has called me to work in Nicaragua and to be a part of Voice of Hope Ministries and all the other things He is planning for me here in Nicaragua. How blessed am I???

No comments:

Post a Comment