Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's been a good day. I went to sleep really late due to the fireworks at midnight and after. No worries, we didn't have to get up early today. I jumped in the shower and then had some super oatmeal for breakfast. (and then some instant pancakes for brunch) :)

Mary and I spent a few hours studying Spanish. She's doing well. I, on the other hand, have not been very good at taking time for studying my verb congegation. But I'm enjoying helping Mary with her words.

I did a load of laundry, including my sheets and hung them out on the line. I spent some time on the computer to post the story about last night's celebration of the Virgin Mary. I also did some much needed communication via email and facebook. I still have a lot of correspondence to take care of, including some projects back in Rogers, but there's plenty of time this week. For lunch I fixed another good tuna salad with eggs, cucumbers and carrots. I'm getting hooked on it!

We took a walk along the beach about 4:30. Since today is a holiday, there were lots of people at the beach today. I took some pics because we don't usually see many people out during the week. The tide was really 'in' today. Compared to last week when we noticed how 'out' it was, I would say the difference today was about 20 feet or more. How strange for it to be so different at the same time of day. The walk today was a good workout since we had to walk up in the looser sand. I was tuckered out!

When we got home, I ran and took a quick shower and then fixed some instant noodle soup and snack pack pudding for dinner. Mary enjoyed tuna on skillet toasted bread today. We're watching our grocery money really closely and it's fun to just graze during the day. We are addicted to the cucumbers!

I made up my bed with the just washed sheets. They smell so good. Hopefully, I won't have to ruin the experience with bug spray for a night or two.

I am resting comfortably on the fresh bed. Freshly showered. Fans blowing across me. Laptop in hand. Christmas music playing on the iPod. It's a pretty sweet night!!!

We will be working at home tomorrow since the van is not fixed yet and we're kind of skeptical of riding in Pastor Miguel's car. It's a long walk from town if we break down. Anyway, there is plenty to do here. Our next project is to put together some hygiene gift bags for the ladies at the Sewer Ponds. Some ladies from Ms Mary's church makes some fabric bags of all kinds of fabric. They are really pretty and handy, too! We'll fill them with goodies. We also have toys to sort and prepare for the kids. And of course, there's always Spanish lessons!!

Juan, one of the translators here, has an English school in León and he asked if Mary and I would like to come and help the students practice their English. We're trying to find a good time for that. We can take the bus into town and then get a little taxi to take us to the school. I can't wait. We don't know when it will happen yet. I really hope it all works out!

My sister was having a hard day today. She is having to take some medicine that messes with hormones. It is supposed to be helpful in some way concerning the breast cancer. I'm sure it's miserable to go through all of this stuff. I didn't get to talk to her today, but Rob gave her my love.

Today is the deadline for submitting the application and deposit for the March Nic trip for my home church (FBCRogers). I can't wait to see who all of the 28 people who have indicated interest will be coming down on the team.

I guess this is all for today. I know it seems that we don't do a lot each day, but with logistical problems and tight budgets and holidays and the culture, you work when you can and you make the best of the rest of the time. When there is a team here, we are going 90 miles an hour every day. It's nice to slow down and still be effective. And it's wonderful to be here. Thank You Lord!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment