Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I was getting ready to turn off the computer for the night and realized that I hadn't posted for today. My night time schedule was different and I completely forgot! I was downloading some more pics to facebook, which takes a while since we have a slow internet. While waiting between downloads, I was working in my Spanish verb workbook. Got to get more study time in...

There's not a whole lot to talk about today. I got up and wash a load of clothes first thing. I love being able to hang them out on the line. Then I made some pancakes for breakfast. I brought some mixes that just need water. The pancakes aren't too bad.

Mary and I went straight to work on packing up the toys for the giveaway next week at the Sewer Pond. Then we took a break and had tuna for lunch. I laid down for a quick nap, but never went to sleep. It did feel good to lay down for a little while. My tooth and ear were bothering me a lot today. I took some aspirin and the pain went away while I was resting. We finished up the toys with a few tubs packed for the kids at the Concrete Pit. We just need to do a few more hygiene kits for the Moms at the Concrete Pit and we're ready to roll. We are trying to use up as much stuff here as possible. We'll let the after-Christmas team give away the rest of it when we do Fiestas.

This afternoon, some neighborhood boys were climbing the palm trees next door. They were cutting down the cocoanuts with machetes. The trees are 2 stories high and they just scamper up there with those machetes. I worry about them falling. But they are very good at it. Saturnino is very good at climbing them, too! I'll have to get a pic of him one of these days. Anyway, they were very busy getting all those cocoanuts down. I don't know if they sell them or what. I got to talk to them a little bit. They own the 2 blond dogs that we see on the beach and on the street. One has a broken front leg, but let me tell you, it can run as fast as the other dogs. I'm kind of proud of it. :)

Mary and I made hamburgers for dinner. I can't get over how lean the meat is here. (the cows are very skinny). And how good the meat tastes, even the chicken, without the additives we have in the states. Of course, who knows what all is in that meat we're eating!

Speaking of meat, tonight we heard the most awful commotion on the street. It was a huge pig being 'coaxed' to the back of a house across the street from us. It was on it's way to get slaughtered and it knew it. The guys were trying to pull it into the yard and it wasn't going easily. At one point it laid down. It was screaming at the top of it's lungs. We joined Saturnino (our guard) at the front gate to watch. They finally got it back on its feet and twisted its tail and maneuvered it to the back of the house. We could hear it screaming for a while and then deadly (!) silence. That was our excitement for this evening.

Mary and I retired to our rooms about 7pm tonight. I was on the computer, as usual, downloading pics for facebook. She likes to lay down and read. About 8pm she came to lock me in my room for the night. I don't think she trusts me to actually lock my door. She likes to check it. I teased her one night that she just doesn't want me to sneak out and get into trouble. She said she wasn't worried about that, she just didn't want me to go without her! ha

We're getting up early tomorrow to catch the bus into town. German will meet us at the bus stop. He offered to drive out and pick us up, but we like riding the bus for the entertainment value. :) We'll let him drive us home, though, because we are going to visit the grocery store while in town.

Mary also wants to hunt down some reasonably priced paperback books in English. That will be a challenge! But it will be fun!

The staff at FBCR had their Christmas luncheon today. I told Teresa to tell everyone hi from me and that I was sweating and suffering for Jesus in Nic! ha!

I'm very sleepy now, so I'll sign off. Bendiciones and dulce sueños.

No comments:

Post a Comment