Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday, December 6, 2010

It's kind of cool here tonight. It's below 70. Mary and I are both talking about not using our fans tonight. Funny how we have gotten so acclimated to the hotter weather here. Back in NWA it's in the 20s & 30s. In Indiana it's in the teens. I'm sure we will have a rude awakening to our bodies when we step off the plane in AR in January!

We worked at the house today. Spent a few hours going through clothes left from the last team. They were very generous. We also had 1 tub and 3 suitcases of clothes to sort. We'll be giving these out the week of Christmas to the people at the Sewer Ponds.

This morning I made a big pan of 'super' oatmeal again. It should last me all week for breakfast. I used the last of the craisins that I brought from home. But the next batch will still have nuts, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds in it, so it will still be yummy. For lunch today, we each made our own tuna salads. Mary put apples, onions and eggs in here. I put onions, eggs, cucumbers and carrots in mine. Pretty yummy! We're having fun just kind of grazing when we are here. Mary is hooked on grilled cheese sandwiches. I've had instant soup and instant potatoes for dinner. Tomorrow we will eat lunch in town and then eat dinner with German's family. yum

We took our afternoon walk along the beach about 4:30pm. We only walked about an hour today. The waves were really close and strong. They weren't leaving many shells for us to look at, so we just kept walking. It's amazing to see how different the tide is from day to day, even at the same time. There were no cows at the north end of the beach today. They were calling them together when we walked through there the other day. We said that we had walked until the 'cows came home'. We crack ourselves up sometimes. ha It was a little overcast this afternoon (after being really sunny and beautiful all day) and the sunset was really orange. It made the underneath side of the clouds all orange. Pretty cool.

Mary really put some hours in on her Spanish studies today. I'm so proud of her. I need to be putting more time in on my verb study. yikes

I've started reading a book titled 'Wide Awake' by Erin McManus. I like his books. It's talking about living the life that God created you for. I think I will enjoy it.

I took a nap today and have been battling a little bit of ear and toothache trouble and a little bit of tummy trouble. I'm going to go to sleep early tonight so that I can be fit as a fiddle for our big day tomorrow. We'll be doing 2 feedings and then spending the day in town and having dinner with German's family. I can't wait! It will be so fun to see the celebrations going on in town.

Tomorrow's feedings will be fun. I love going to the Sewer Ponds. Those people have taken over a piece of my heart. It will be interesting to see who shows up at the Concrete Pit area. We're just getting to know them a little. It will be wonderful to see Pastor Calderon and his wife and church family who prepare the food for the feedings. They pull up in their little red truck with tables for the food, tubs of rice and beans with some kind of meat (hopefully), tortillas, drinks in plastic baggies and a piece of candy for each person. They have the process down pretty good. We are blessed to be able to come along side them and help. They do all the work. Bless their hearts!

I heard from a friend in Louisiana who would like to bring a team down next summer. It will be wonderful to see him again and to have his team here. He's a great youth minister and a fun person. I can't wait to work with him again. We're just starting to get the details worked out. It is going to be a BUSY summer. Just the way we like it!!!

My sister Pam is doing pretty well after her surgery. I'm thankful for that.
I got an email from my friend Shirley McGimpsey today. Her stepson died last weekend. I'm lifting the whole family up in prayer. It's hard to lose a family member, especially at Christmas time. God, please give them Your peace and comfort.

I can't think of too much more to talk about for today. I just enjoy so much being here. I love the simplicity (and some times hard work) of living here. I'm getting a little tired of the mosquitoes, but that's okay, too. I like seeing the geckos running around on the walls. I know they are hungry for those mosquitoes. yay As I was laying on my bed today, hearing the sounds of outside through the open windows and the hum of the fans, it reminded me of growing up (in the days before airconditioning). I loved sleeping with open windows and fans.

Speaking of sleeping, I'll think I'll try it now. Sweet dreams everyone. Dios te bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment